WWI Lewis Gun Canvas Cover Project

Does anyone have an actual WWI canvas Lewis gun cover? I am working on a project to make some reproduction and need to find an original to pattern from. The WWII Bren covers aren't close enough to even use to modify.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Eric

Is this what you're referring to? Not sure if this is US, Briish, or Aussie as there are no markings anywhere and I'm not educated enough to analyze the closures to determine the origin. It is made mostly of cloth and not webbing. I'm not even 100% sure it's for a Lewis? I do know I've never seen another in person. HTH

IMG_7916.JPGIMG_7917.JPG

Yes, it would close completely had I not been too lazy to remove the rear AA sight. I don't recall where it came from and it's not for sale at this time. Really, you should be able to form fit one to a gun as getting dimensions is not all that easy. Sort of like taking your chubby little lewis girl to a seamstress, pinning it all up to fit, trimming the fabric and then sewing on the straps or in this case the leather is riveted. There is another photo in a small arms review archive segment you can search out if you search lewis gun cover. HTH

• 4 weeks later...

johnsonlmg41... do you think you might be able to lay out your Lewis gun cover with a ruler next to and/or on top if it (or both) at various angles so i can try to make a pattern of it? The more detailed information and pictures I can get would really be helpful so I can make it as accurate as possible. It looks like there are a number of odd angled seams and pieces to get the proper shape so it is all in the details and measurements.

Your help would be very much appreciated by me and a lot of other collectors if I could make these top notch in regards to accuracy.

Thanks,

Eric