New To Me 1928A1 AO

Picked up a AO 1928a1 as a "shooter"

Mechanically it looks great aside from having two buffers in it which I will replace after shooting it the

way it came. It does have a Savage lower which is not common according to all that I have read.

Looks like it saw British use as per location of sling swivels. Kind of a low serial number 56,000

Any members have an idea of when manufactured? It seems from Page 155 of American Thunder, its around Feb 1941

koV9dB.jpg
VFG45M.jpg
pxp9Md.jpg
ohknPP.jpg
K451DT.jpg
Edited by Haris357

There will be another serial number on the frame under the removable butt stock.

That one is S-238260 which is from a Savage.Since Savage made 200,000 1928s before AO made their first one, the savage lower may be close in Vintage

AOC Bridgeport didn't get their first 1928's off the production line until approximately August 1941 so your AO 50,000 serial number gun will be a little later then August, Fall 1041 might be as close you will ever have for an estimate. As far as Savage lowers being less common. Savage made a little more then 3X the number of 1928/A1's then the AOC Bridgeport plant. What the ratio of Savage versus Bridgeport plant guns that were sent as Lend Lease I do not know although there was a listing of serial numbers posted at one time of a member who had saw a large quantity of the Lend Lease "Russian" guns. Your AO 50,000 serial number is in the range reported.

Interesting rear grip that someone modified to make fit their hand better or something. If you dont alesady have it, I would suggest Tom Davis book on lend lease Thompsons. Yours spent some time overseas and came back via Interarms. Congrats!

Ron

Interesting rear grip that someone modified to make fit their hand better or something. If you dont alesady have it, I would suggest Tom Davis book on lend lease Thompsons. Yours spent some time overseas and came back via Interarms. Congrats!

Ron

The rear grip is one of the first things I noticed. It looks like a over sanded Savage grip. Not to say that it couldn't have left the factory that way.

Nice gun though, congrats.

Andrew

might have got a ding or chip in the grip an someone sanded it smooth to hide it...odds are a hack mark wouldnt feel good in your palm....maybe it got smashed over a Nazi skull and chipped.....

i always like to picture something exciting.....i had a stock for a Enfield that had a copper jacket piece in it...wondered if a bullet splattered on it during battle...when i refinished it i didnt pick the piece out...left it in