1928A1 Bolt Spring Help!

Hi gang,

My 28A1 bolt spring kinks up often. Last time I had it out after cleaning I reversed the spring and put the kink inside of the bolt. Once the spring is fully dislodged it is a bear to get it back in! Is there a " trick "?

Anyhow, the last time I had it out we put hundreds of rounds through it without a problem. I just took it out and when I pulled the bolt handle back, the spring dislodged inside the housing. This spring is now bent all to hell! Is this common??? Luckily I have extra springs....

I will ask another question. Once the bolt, buffer pilot & recoil spring are assembled into the frame, the buffer pilot does not line up perfectly straight as it sits in the frame! Is this normal? Nothing appears bent and the recoil spring is new.

I will ask another question. Once the bolt, buffer pilot & recoil spring are assembled into the frame, the buffer pilot does not line up perfectly straight as it sits in the frame! Is this normal? Nothing appears bent and the recoil spring is new.

That is normal in all the 28s Ive seen. The partially compressed main spring will push the pilot slightly off center with the bolt forward.

Edited by 1921A

That is normal in all the 28s Ive seen. The partially compressed main spring will push the pilot slightly off center with the bolt forward.

OK, that is good to hear! I put a new recoil spring in today and we will see how she runs tomorrow.....

Oh nooooo....HELP! Shot a 6 stage match today with the NOS recoil spring in my 28 Tommy and when I began stage # 6 the bolt wouldn't retract and when I got home the recoil spring had SPRUNG! What in tarnation is wrong???

Edited by brucea4

Questions:

Is the buffer pilot stamped with an "S" or an "AOC" manufacturer marking?

What manufacturer mark is on the actuator?

Can you post a picture of these two items, especially the rear hole of the actuator?

Are you using a NOS GI spring? Or an aftermarket spring?

timkel may be on to something, above. Can you measure the pilot end of the buffer pilot and the diameter of the pilot hole in the end of the receiver?

Over the years I have noticed a slight difference of length between WWII GI buffer pilots. Perhaps you have one that is on the short side and is contributing to this problem. .

The reason I asked if your Thompson was a West Hurley, above, because a very common defect for WHs is the pilot hole is not within proper specifications (too large). PK will make a dedicated buffer pilot for these WHs during his remanufacturing process.

If the last picture you posted is your receiver, it looks like the rear of the receiver has cracked, if so the pilot will never line up, See picture of the receiver in in post 14

Edited by bob241

I would try a Savage buffer pilot that is longer. Not all WW2 Savage pilots were created equal. The early Savage pilots with the dimple on the receiver end in my experience tend to be shorter both in overall length and the length of the rod portion that the spring slides over. Savage pilots will also vary slightly in diameter of the rod portion that fits through the receiver pilot hole. The diameter will vary less then the length will.

If you switch to a 1921 Actuator and PK modified 21/28 buffer pilot all of your 1929 recoil spring kinking issues will go away.

I had a problem with a spring kinking exactly once while using what turned out to be the shortest Savage pilot in every measurement combined with a bad neoprene style buffer that decided to disintegrate. Too much room between the buffer disintegrating and the short pilot likely allowed for stacking tolerances with enough room for the recoil spring to "escape".