1921 Thompson A1amnesty

New to the forum, so bear with me. Above is a 1921 Thompson A1 that had been deactived prior to the 1986 amnesty. It is registered, and has the atf approved form one,to reactivate. gun was deactivated originally in california by a small cut right front of receiver, a weld of barrell to receiver, and a plug in barrell. I have had various suggestions from heating the receiver cherry red to knock weld loose to rebarrell, to grinding off weld, etc. I think this was an original three digit serial number, although can't verify since the receiver side and rear numbers were burred out, and haven't had the barrell off to check there. Any suggestions on who to turn to for this process.

Second, one gunsmith said it was okay now to leave it with them to work on out of my presence. This contradicts what I had understood. Thanks for bearing with me.

Gumpy

Gumpy:

Welcome! You need to have personal speaks with Paul Krogh (PK) of the board. I am sure he will chime in here, but his contact info is in the FAQ. Please keep us appraised of what you discover...

Hi Grumpy,

It is rare to have an opportunity these days to re-activate a ‘21- make sure it’s done right by whom ever you choose, it will be worth it.

Just a couple of comments, any gunsmith with a FFL can accept your NFA firearm for service and keep it out of your presence. This is not a problem.

“heating the receiver cherry red to knock weld loose” is a good indication of why you need to be careful in choosing a professional to assist you. Not only would such a procedure not be effective in removing the weld, but would seriously compromise the receiver.

Good luck on your activation project and yes, please post a photo if you have such.