Another addition to my Dillinger/Tucson collection

Hacksaw- I saw that, a universal cap, but this one I found has the Indian head insert that covers the screw head and has Savage Arms on it in script & a cross checkered pattern inside.

I think the one on the gun , pictured above, is a universal for various models, Savage, Stevens etc. It also has the edges ground/sanded down to fit.

No expert here, just researching this like crazy, thank god for the internet.

" supposedly" this one is from the original Savage mold as they are not making them anymore. Size measurements are dead on anyway.

I'm very anal on stuff like this.

Interesting seeing the Savage 99s showing up on multiple gangster inventories. Normally a gun for big game. Wonder how it'd do thru a car body, might be able to find out and possibly a vest, Have another invitation to the Sheriff's range . Got about 6 new " outlaw" weapons I'd like to try out there.

OCM

Edited by OCM

with .303 savage, hiding behind a car will not help you , engine block yes but other than that you're done.

For gangster use, im suprised the bastards didnt hack them down to a point where you could have it tucked completely under your coat .

Edited by StooperZero

for an original , you can probably get one on the cheap if you visit one of those guys at a gun show who always have the tables full of random parts. I spend more time at those tables than anywhere else anymore.

I'll ask a few guys i know that hoard if they have one .

Be cool if you found one, not like looking for original Colt Thompson parts= $$$$$$$$$

I can patina this one with 0000 steel wool to look like the rest of the gun anyway.

Really want to compare it with my Winchester 07 and Winchester 94. Don't have one, but be fun to compare it with the Krag 30-40 too. ( moot point)

We'll see.

Hickok 45 has a good youtube on the 99... KA-Boom. ( .300)

Just for the hell of it.....

30.06 ball

30-40 Krag

.35 Rem

30-30 Win

.303 Savage

.351 Win

OCM

DSCN8154.JPG

Yes, the JD gang had a Winchester model 1910 in 401 that they stole from the Auburn , IN PD.

Jim-

I see the straight grip Savages on Gun Broker now. See if I can possibly determine the model .

Savage 99 model H Barrel-Band Carbine. Has the straight grip and straight front Schnoble/Schnabel. ( forend)

Caliber, you're guess, 30-30 maybe.

Edited by OCM

Final: left-right

99 Savage model G, probably in .303 ; Thompson ( 6099,8946,5878 ) ; 1907 Winchester 351 Lebman conversion, ; Winchester model 95 ; Thompson ( 6099,8946,5878 ) ; Thompson Navy Overstamp #3363 ; Thompson ( 6099,8946,5878) ; 99 Savage model-H Barrel- banned carbine probably in 30-30 .

4-Dunrite bullet proof vests

2- Colt 1911s probably a 45 and Super 38

Colt 45 Revolver

Pima County Courthouse, Tucson, AZ., January 26, 1934

Officer Mark Robbins Tucson fingerprint expert ; Tucson Chief of Police, C.A." Gus" Wollard ; Tucson Motorcycle Officer Chester W. " Chet" Sherman .

001 (7).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a 1933 Savage sales brochure listing all the models with line drawings, accessories and Savage ammo. As Rob pointed out, looks like Fred Burke also likes the Savage 99 take down model and the Winchester 07.

Winchester 07 always out scores the rest, self loading has a big advantage in that business.

Here's a larger photo of Fred's arsenal (click on it for the full-size):

http://themobmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/IMG_20140121_145355_330.jpg

Rob

Edited by ghostsoldier

Savage 99 B or F depending on the butt plate- Rifle or shotgun butt plate.

Pretty geeky on my part-

Thanks Rob

I have not. Is it in Public Enemies ( picture ) ?

Did confirm last night from Rob's second photo of the Burke arsenal , it's a Savage model 99-F, for those that couldn't sleep wondering .............

Edited by OCM

I have not. Is it in Public Enemies ( picture ) ?

Did confirm last night from Rob's second photo of the Burke arsenal , it's a Savage model 99-F, for those that couldn't sleep wondering .............

There is a photo on Larry's page, here.

Model 99F -- as I thought, many thanks! ;)

Cheers

HANS

1927 Savage 99 model F take down, 250-3000.

These Savages keep popping up in gangster arsenals, most Take Down.

I revisited Larry's stuff on Lebman couple days ago, what a bunch of information there, like this Karpis stuff.

Seems like old Lebman was one of Wolf & Klars best customers. Lot of stuff to speculate on.

If you haven't yet ( anyone) re-visit the site if interested in this stuff. I went into the Nelson area, ran into the Lebman stuff there.

OCM

Let's get even more geeky. Can anyone the scope on Karpis' Remington Model 24A rifle? It is longer than any design I've seen for that timeframe.

Oh, and does anyone know an expert on early sound suppressors? I have a number of pictures of suppressors that don't look like standard Maxims ...

Cheers

HANS

revisited Larry's stuff on Lebman couple days ago, what a bunch of information there, like this Karpis stuff.

Seems like old Lebman was one of Wolf & Klars best customers. Lot of stuff to speculate on.

If you haven't yet ( anyone) re-visit the site if interested in this stuff. I went into the Nelson area, ran into the Lebman stuff there.

Yeah, there is some good stuff on Larry's site.

Cheers

HANS

Let's get even more geeky. Can anyone the scope on Karpis' Remington Model 24A rifle? It is longer than any design I've seen for that timeframe.

Oh, and does anyone know an expert on early sound suppressors? I have a number of pictures of suppressors that don't look like standard Maxims ...

Cheers

HANS

Hans,

I have a few books on suppressors. If you want to post a photo I can try to help.

Ron

Another one sitting upright on the table in front. Oddest thing seeing a suppressor on a Colt pocket pistol. Robbing banks with silencers is a bit odd, I think. Maybe it's the " Quiet Gang " gang.