Advice

John J,

Only four of the Thompson's I listed were from auction, and the prices I quoted were minus the commission fee. The rest were private party sales. The fact that the WH gun only commanded $6500, (compared to Devine's estimate of $10K), only serves to support my contention that the WH examples are not getting the prices that Hurridale supposes.

Your so called "over looked" factors have nothing to do with the simple fact that NFA guns are rediculously expensive regardless of whether they are proper investments, or that the potential market of buyers is relatively small. Blame Forbes Magazine for the rapid inflation of prices since they advised wealthy investors to concentrate their attention on a hobby they knew nothing about, and cared less for. If you do not like the fact that your 1928A1 Savage has risen in value, then consider having it buried with you upon your demise. That will save you from the embarassment of ever having to take an excessive amount of money for a gun you paid a whole lot less for.

The fact that the WH gun only commanded $6500, (compared to Devine's estimate of $10K), only serves to support my contention that the WH examples are not getting the prices that Hurridale supposes.
It also supports my argument that you can ask 10 but will not get it and will take less if you are a seller, not a potential seller.

Jr

Hurridale,

I paid $7500 for a Savage 1928A1 in July, 2002 and was offered $12,000 for the same gun by a dealer in November, 2003. Admittedly, I probably got a very good deal on the purchase but that's a pretty hefy increase in 16 months. The dealer told me that he could sell the gun right then for a profit at that price.

If you want to get the highest price you can, put your toy up for auction or start contacting some of the dealers that do a lot of advertising.

Pete Dursin