Silver Bear 45 Ammo in the Thompson

Has anyone tried Silver Bear 45 ACP ammo in their full autoThompson? Since it can be had for about $10.50 a box of 50 I am tempted to try some. Its not reloadable but if it runs well thats OK.

I have always run the brass case ammo but what about aluminum case stuff??

I have seen too many failures of that stuff during USPSA matches to even consider shooting it in a cheap pistol. All my pistol caliber ammunition I fire I have reloaded myself on Dillon machines and have never had a failure in all the years I have been reloading. The only squib round I have ever fired was .38 Special ammunition issued to me on a range at Ft Campbell and was IMI production.

I have always run the brass case ammo but what about aluminum case stuff??

I have seen too many failures of that stuff during USPSA matches to even consider shooting it in a cheap pistol. All my pistol caliber ammunition I fire I have reloaded myself on Dillon machines and have never had a failure in all the years I have been reloading. The only squib round I have ever fired was .38 Special ammunition issued to me on a range at Ft Campbell and was IMI production.

+1.

The difference in price for "better" ammo is so little that it is inconsequential. Buy in Bulk, watch for sales. And bulk is not "100rds" it is 2-4k at a time. I Don't buy the Wolf / Steel in any pistol caliber - and only buy the Red Army Std for 5.45mm and 7.62 AK rds as it is non-corrosive and on sale locally a lot . I don't buy 45 ammo- and have not for 30+ yrs. I reload on a dedicated dillon 650, and have zero problems as well. I have so much 45 ball loaded to US spec at this point I really could stop loading and just shoot. I did just work up VERY soft loads for the 1911s, as my arthritis in the wrist is really limiting my recoil tolerance. I have a lot of factory 45 that came in on trade deals, that at some point I need to sell off - Federal Red box for the most part I think. shipping is such a bitch on the 45.

I do reload as well. I shoot reloaded 9mm almost exclusively in my UZI.

Any recommendations on a 45 recipe for the Thompson Machine Gun.

I have just about used up my HP-38 powder and am switching to W-231, which should be much cleaner burning.

230 grain FMJ (plated) bullets with no exposed lead (for those with compensators). Lead fouls the Cutts too much.

I have been loading with 5 grains of HP-38 and will do the same with W-231.

I buy Scorpion Brand bullets at gun shows, much cheaper than Berry's plated bullets at Cabela's.

I have just about used up my HP-38 powder and am switching to W-231, which should be much cleaner burning.

230 grain FMJ (plated) bullets with no exposed lead (for those with compensators). Lead fouls the Cutts too much.

I have been loading with 5 grains of HP-38 and will do the same with W-231.

I buy Scorpion Brand bullets at gun shows, much cheaper than Berry's plated bullets at Cabela's.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Maybe we will get a few other ideas.

Regards

Tiz

I do reload as well. I shoot reloaded 9mm almost exclusively in my UZI.

Any recommendations on a 45 recipe for the Thompson Machine Gun.

45 ACP

230 gr Berry’s Plated OAL – 1.270 Crimp .470

5.0 Bullseye

230 gr Delta Precision FMJ OAL – 1.273 Crimp .473

4.6 Bullseye

I shoot crap in the UZI because barrel changes are cheap and easy to swap.

Cheapo brass cased ammo in a M16 or GI Thompson should be OK because barrels are plentiful. I dont shoot Russian in an M16 because its filthy and the M16 is gas operated.

In a COLT Thompson ? Only the best factory loaded on moonlit nights by fair haired virgin maidens. ;)

I shoot crap in the UZI because barrel changes are cheap and easy to swap.

Cheapo brass cased ammo in a M16 or GI Thompson should be OK because barrels are plentiful. I dont shoot Russian in an M16 because its filthy and the M16 is gas operated.

In a COLT Thompson ? Only the best factory loaded on moonlit nights by fair haired virgin maidens. ;)

Thanks Lightguy. I shoot about anything in my UZI as well. Never had a problem. I have 2 spare barrels for my Thompson. Ever tried Silver Bear? It's zinc plated steel I believe. A recent ammo test in Gun Test gave Wolf and Fiocchi high marks. What is you opinion on Seller & Bellot? I can find some good prices on S & B in 45ACP