M1/M2 Conversion Help - What to look for?

Hey guys, great forum!!! I need help in what to look for with a M1 to M2 conversion. I hear some receivers crack and if so. Which ones and can these specific receivers be rewelded if so? Thank you in advance.

Respectfully ...

Not sure what you are asking. All USGI M1-M2 receivers were forged-machined. There were two, (2) major differences. One was the long drilled integral deep hole for the op rod guild and spring. Most receivers were this type. The second was the separate tube for the op rod guide and spring. Quality Hardware used this type.

There were exceptions. There was a war going on. Some failed deep drilled hole receivers were converted to separate tube type receivers. Salvage. Some makes.

I will try to be brief. Long story. Two major different types of transferable M2 Carbines. One was the M2 marked receiver. The other was a so called "trigger pak" which had one of the seven specific M2 parts marked and registered ... PLUS there are other M2 parts that are also registered and are on the BAFTE legal M2 lists.

Now we get to differences of expert opinion. Not me. I'm just a shooter. If I were looking for another shooter M2 Carbine I would concentrate on the various 'trigger pak" conversion kits. Not the M2 receiver versions. Within the trigger paks there are also best or better ways to choose. I have a transferable M2 trigger housing. Rare.

BATFE registered. No moving parts. Wears very slowly. Can be legally swapped from Carbine to Carbine. Other rare BATFE legal registered parts include the M2 Slide, the M2 Trip Lever or rocker, the M2 specific disconnecter block, the M2 Switch and very rarely the M2 hammer and very very rarely the M2 Sear. All wear.

M2 receivers can and do simply wear out and become out of specification. Eventually dangerous to use. Using a trigger pak allows one to legally swap out the trigger pak to another donor M1 Carbine receiver. My registered trigger housing is now on a late, sweet excellent condition Inland Carbine. 100% function with tuning.

Try the CMP forum. They have lots of pros and collectors there. Also hopefully other collector here will chip in and correct me or add onto what I have mentioned. In order of value? 1) M2 trigger housing. 2) M2 disconnecter block. 3) M2 Slide. 4) M2 rocker. 5) M2 Switch. 6) M2 Sear. 6) M2 hammer. 7) M2 Receiver.

The above would be the specific registered parts inside the so called generic trigger pak. In my opinion, (probably wrong) a registered M2 receiver Carbine would be the least valuable. You are stuck with that receiver. Receivers do wear out. I have swapped my trigger pak twice now. Legal. M2 Carbines are very fun. Addictive.

Hope this helps. Respectfully. Possibly a deep drilled receiver is stronger than the separate tube type receiver. My opinion only. EDIT> I would stay completely away from any re welded receiver Too many things must be exact for safe M2 function.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws, NFA Laws And BATFE Rules And Regulations Apply.

Edited by HB of CJ
  • Upvote 1

Thats a ton of great info. Thank you. This should help narrow choices down a lot!!!

Respectfully ...

Not sure what you are asking. All USGI M1-M2 receivers were forged-machined. There were two, (2) major differences. One was the long drilled integral deep hole for the op rod guild and spring. Most receivers were this type. The second was the separate tube for the op rod guide and spring. Quality Hardware used this type.

There were exceptions. There was a war going on. Some failed deep drilled hole receivers were converted to separate tube type receivers. Salvage. Some makes.

I will try to be brief. Long story. Two major different types of transferable M2 Carbines. One was the M2 marked receiver. The other was a so called "trigger pak" which had one of the seven specific M2 parts marked and registered ... PLUS there are other M2 parts that are also registered and are on the BAFTE legal M2 lists.

Now we get to differences of expert opinion. Not me. I'm just a shooter. If I were looking for another shooter M2 Carbine I would concentrate on the various 'trigger pak" conversion kits. Not the M2 receiver versions. Within the trigger paks there are also best or better ways to choose. I have a transferable M2 trigger housing. Rare.

BATFE registered. No moving parts. Wears very slowly. Can be legally swapped from Carbine to Carbine. Other rare BATFE legal registered parts include the M2 Slide, the M2 Trip Lever or rocker, the M2 specific disconnecter block, the M2 Switch and very rarely the M2 hammer and very very rarely the M2 Sear. All wear.

M2 receivers can and do simply wear out and become out of specification. Eventually dangerous to use. Using a trigger pak allows one to legally swap out the trigger pak to another donor M1 Carbine receiver. My registered trigger housing is now on a late, sweet excellent condition Inland Carbine. 100% function with tuning.

Try the CMP forum. They have lots of pros and collectors there. Also hopefully other collector here will chip in and correct me or add onto what I have mentioned. In order of value? 1) M2 trigger housing. 2) M2 disconnecter block. 3) M2 Slide. 4) M2 rocker. 5) M2 Switch. 6) M2 Sear. 6) M2 hammer. 7) M2 Receiver.

The above would be the specific registered parts inside the so called generic trigger pak. In my opinion, (probably wrong) a registered M2 receiver Carbine would be the least valuable. You are stuck with that receiver. Receivers do wear out. I have swapped my trigger pak twice now. Legal. M2 Carbines are very fun. Addictive.

Hope this helps. Respectfully. Possibly a deep drilled receiver is stronger than the separate tube type receiver. My opinion only. EDIT> I would stay completely away from any re welded receiver Too many things must be exact for safe M2 function.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws, NFA Laws And BATFE Rules And Regulations Apply.

I previously owned a registered trigger housing and kick myself for selling it as I also agree it is pretty much "bullet proof". I currently have a registered trip lever so you can guess I am a big proponent of registered part vs receiver as you put the "kit" on any m1 carbine legally. Of course If you are looking for a collector M2, then you should purchase a correct Inland M2 stamped weapon.

My Dad carried a M2 carbine in Korea from 1950 to 52 and it saved his bacon a couple of times from mass bugle charges. I most likely would not have been born if not for his M2 so it holds special to me despite it having "issues". Of course it also helped that he manned a quad 50 from a half track!!!!!!! Funny as a joke I tell my young Xers at work that my Dad was a business man/commodities trader and was one of the first to ever trade with the Communist Chinese in 1950/51. The usual response is, cool man what did he trade with them? LEAD

Best,

Mac

Edited by NFA amnesty

komo, Here is a post I found on a carbine forum pertaining to cracked receivers.Jim C------------------ UnQuality View Drop Down Recruit Recruit Avatar Joined: Sep 16 2016 Location: Michigan Status: Offline Points: 20 Post Options Post Options Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Quote UnQuality Quote Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2017 at 9:10pm I cant look !--------------------------- I had a T1 Winchester and when I was shooting it, it cracked the receiver spring tube wall. They are brittle to start with. This one had something spill on it a long time ago and damage the finish, so no biggie it cracked.

Edited by jim c 351

Thank you David, a ton of good comments on here. This will help on my decision. There were a few on Sturm that were priced so far apart. From $7.5k-$12k. Now I know why? Guess I will hold out a while and see if I can find a Fair priced Transferable trigger pack? Thank you for pinning this and for the opportunity to be on this forum sir. Ty :-)

I am pinning this post, as I think HB of CJ's response to the original post is excellent, and potentially useful for others who may be looking to acquire a legal M1/M2 conversion.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com