Photo

New member contemplates getting a Form 1 for a WH 1927a1

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 TennesseeTaylor95

TennesseeTaylor95

• Regular Group
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Collecting militaria and firearms. I also enjoy fine cigars and pipe tobacco. I used to have a 1968 mustang, but I sold it to buy more militaria and firearms.

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:19 PM

Hello everyone! I am a new member that stumbled across this forum while trying to decide if I should SBR my West Hurley 1927a1 (I hear that these guns are hit or miss, but mine seems to run just fine with liberal amounts of oil). I find that I never take my thompson out to the range and I feel that SBRing it would make me enjoy it more and take it out to shoot more often. My big thing is that I have absolutely no idea where to start this process as well as find out a ball park figure this entire thing would set me back by hearing from you guys that have SBRed their thompsons, what you had done, how much did it cost, what you would have done differently, did you do an eForm or send everything in by paper, etc. I have been searching the forum for most of these answers, but I didn't really get any ball park figures for some items and services, so I apologize in advance if this gets asked all the time. Any advice or "do's and don't" about SBRing a thompson would be much appreciated. Here is a picture of what I have to work with.

Attached Files

#2 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

• Regular Group
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:53 PM

It's not as complicated as it is tedious ... I cannot answer for today but in 2016 it took 9 months for my tax stamp to arrive. If you take the plunge, I would suggest contacting a good Thompson smith to do the work of rebarreling ... Dan Block (deerslayer) on this forum put the barrel on my weapon ... Price was very reasonable. 

Attached File  1927A1-1.jpg   185.87K   19 downloads

#3 Elbow

Elbow

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:41 AM

Try these links. They should help you.

https://www.atf.gov/.../11281/download

https://www.youtube....B965zIkA&t=585s

#4 TennesseeTaylor95

TennesseeTaylor95

• Regular Group
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Collecting militaria and firearms. I also enjoy fine cigars and pipe tobacco. I used to have a 1968 mustang, but I sold it to buy more militaria and firearms.

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:56 AM

Thank you guys for the quick responses. I will send Dan Block a message this weekend about the services he provides. If the wait time to get a tax stamp is still that long, that will give me enough time to save up as much money as possible.

#5 giantpune

giantpune

• Regular Group
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:12 PM

With the efile system, its currently a dice roll.  Either you get a stamp back in 2-3 weeks or you get stuck in the FBI background check line and have to wait that 7-13 months.

With the thompson, you can either have your original barrel cut and the sight pushed back or you can have the barrel swapped for a shorter one.  If you go with the first option, its cheaper and you can have it threaded for a silencer.  The second option looks more historically correct and you don't hack up the original parts.  Its whichever one you prefer.

You need to have the gun engraved, too, with your name and city.  The thompson is on the heavy side, so shipping it may add up.  I found a local shop and just drive my NFA items to him like 5 at a time to get engraved.  If you're going with a full barrel swap, you can actually send the barrel off to get engraved which will be a lot cheaper than sending off the barreled receiver.

#6 TennesseeTaylor95

TennesseeTaylor95

• Regular Group
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:55 PM

Very interesting and good to know since it would be easier and cheaper to ship a barrel instead of barreled receiver. However, I will look around to see if anyone within 1 or 2 hours of me can do the engraving for me.

#7 brassmagnet

brassmagnet

• Regular Group
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:16 AM

Pretty sure he meant with the barrel "off" - receiver is easier to ship. The receiver gets the engraving.....

#8 TennesseeTaylor95

TennesseeTaylor95

• Regular Group
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:44 PM

Are you sure brassmagnet? In chapter 7 titled Manufacturing NFA Firearms, 7.4.1 and 7.4.2 under the section titled The Identification of Firearms, only the serial number has to be on the receiver or frame (the serial number that would be used for the form 1 is the factory serial number that is already on the receiver). The other information can be put on the receiver, frame, or barrel (i.e. model, caliber, manufacturer's name, city and state of manufacturing). Unless I have read or understood the ATF's information incorrectly, the barrel should be able to be sent off by itself to get my form 1 information engraved on it since I will not have any information engraved that can only be placed on the receiver. However, my ATF Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide is from 2014 and things could have been updated since then, so if I am incorrect, please let me know with references to the most recent information from the ATF.

Edited by TennesseeTaylor95, 08 December 2018 - 02:46 PM.

#9 Speeddemon02

Speeddemon02

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Trucks, Games, and Woodworking

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:07 PM

You are correct that the additional required info can be put on the barrel itself.  I prefer this method for SBR/SBS

#10 TennesseeTaylor95

TennesseeTaylor95

• Regular Group
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:49 PM

Good to know Speeddemon02, I have been wanting to dip into the NFA world for a few years now, but I have been a little apprehensive about getting the ball rolling on the paperwork.

#11 giantpune

giantpune

• Regular Group
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:51 PM

Pretty sure he meant with the barrel "off" - receiver is easier to ship. The receiver gets the engraving.....

I was talking about engraving his new barrel and then having it installed.  Doing the barrel is common for AR-15 short upper receivers and glock SBRs.

In the case of AR-15 and a thompson with quick-swappable barrels, every time you have the short barrel installed on the gun, the gun has the proper markings.  But when you take the short barrel off, the gun is untouched and back to its original condition.

Edited by giantpune, 08 December 2018 - 02:52 PM.

#12 anticus

anticus

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 666 posts
  • Interests:History, ancient coins, antiques of all descriptions.

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:23 PM

A note on timeframes. i sent my latest Form 1 paperwork in on 4 September. It was approved on 30 November and I got my stamp yesterday.

#13 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

• Regular Group
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:44 PM

I had mine engraved on the frame next to the grip mount ... If a barrel ever needs to be swapped out it would eliminate the need to engrave the new barrel 

#14 TennesseeTaylor95

TennesseeTaylor95

• Regular Group
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:55 PM

Anticus, was your timeframe with the eForm system or by sending in paper forms? Engraving the frame does sound pretty good as well, especially since it might be easier to engrave a flat spot of metal over the rounded surfaces of a barrel. There is a place about 1.5 hours away that does NFA engravings for $35 so I will try to schedule an appointment with them for the next time I am in that area.

#15 anticus

anticus

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 666 posts
  • Interests:History, ancient coins, antiques of all descriptions.

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:21 PM

Paper all the way. I have the frames engraved on my other SBRs, but I'm doing the barrel on the Uzi since it's so easy to swap out.

#16 TennesseeTaylor95

TennesseeTaylor95

• Regular Group
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:07 PM

Wow, that's a short wait time for paper. I was thinking that it would probably take 6 months or more. Did you fill the paper work out by yourself or did you need any assistance on filling it out the first time you sent in a form 1? It looks pretty easy and straightforward, but I just don't want to mess it up and get my packet rejected.

#17 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

• Regular Group
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:58 PM

Wow, that's a short wait time for paper. I was thinking that it would probably take 6 months or more. Did you fill the paper work out by yourself or did you need any assistance on filling it out the first time you sent in a form 1? It looks pretty easy and straightforward, but I just don't want to mess it up and get my packet rejected.

When you complete your paperwork double check to make sure the law enforcement official that has to sign off does so properly ... My sheriff did not and it held my paperwork up 2 weeks to have him correct it.

#18 TennesseeTaylor95

TennesseeTaylor95

• Regular Group
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:37 PM

Could you specify how your sheriff messed it up? Did he not print his name, put his signature, etc.? I would like to know so I make sure mine doesn't do the same thing.

#19 TennesseeTaylor95

TennesseeTaylor95

• Regular Group
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:00 PM

When you complete your paperwork double check to make sure the law enforcement official that has to sign off does so properly ... My sheriff did not and it held my paperwork up 2 weeks to have him correct it.
did your sheriff not put the correct address or his name down in box 10?

#20 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

• Regular Group
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:38 PM

did your sheriff not put the correct address or his name down in box 10?

He didn't sign both copies