28 Savage

gijive,

I never noticed that. I wonder why they changed it for the M1 series?

Norm

OK, I saw this same remark made on another post about the word CALIBRE and the correct spelling. CALIBRE is CORRECT. You will also find it on very early 1911's, and most other firearms built in days gone by.

Try not to get too riled when I say this, but the American diction has bastardized many parts of the english language. For example the correct way to spell the place where bad guys are sent after a quilty conviction in court is GAOL, not jail. Green, is a colour, not a color. The person that lives next door to me is my neighbour, not neighbor. The entire english speaking world, other than the US, pronounces the last letter of the alphabet as ZED, not ZEE.

I say this as a reminder, not to start a flame, just to clarify. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Sorry, and back to the beautiful 28 Savage.

G.I.,

Since this word change pertains to Rich's NAC "M1A1" thread, the spelling from "Calibre" to "Caliber" actually predates the M1 model. The prototype Savage 1928 configured model in 9mm sported the new spelling five months before the M1 prototype hit the scene.

Koldt,

And the actual way "Shakespeare" spelt his name is merely a guestimate by scholars.

Arthur,

I'm in agreement with you. I was just referring generally to the production models. I was trying to support your contention that the NAC gun pictured probably was not a Savage prototype and that NAC probably roll stamped the receiver with the word calibre, for whatever reason.

Now, considering that the M1's were the first "caliber" guns, wonder where that puts the Mobile PD gun. Debate was that it was either pulled from the production line early, or built later. It is "calibre" stamped as well.

Ken