Need Expert Advice On This Thompson Wood

Over 30 years ago I changed some things on a what is now viewed as a historical piece of equipment. At the time is was just a fun project for me and I wanted it functional, without regard to what historically "significant" items I removed or installed. In retrospect I can consider that maybe I should have kept this or that on it. Long after I'm gone, someone may wonder just what the heck I was thinking in 1986. I was thinking I wanted to get on with it and start having fun. Perhaps there is nothing more involved in this project gun either, the man just wanted to get on with it and used what was available at the time. ;)

• Upvote 1

I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to look at the pictures and post responses . The plan was to sell the wood and replace it with WWII wood. But that plan now has changed when the gun is sold it will have the wood that was seen in the pictures and discussed . That will be a little plus for when the gun is sold. We are going to sell the 2 - piece actuator and replace it with a WWII one. Since I have sold all my Thompsons off a few years ago I am a little behind the times on pricing the actuator. I have received a few CRAZY numbers . I will post it here after I get the replacement and happy with the why the gun functions . There a few more mystery's to be figured out It just might be a one of a kind gun.

Thank You for all the help and insight on dealing with the issues discussed .

Chuck K

DSCN9663.JPG

DSCN9664.JPG

DSCN9679.JPG

DSCN9677.JPG

West Hurley engraved to be like a 1927 semi auto Colt? Correct with the milled out lettering?

Then also with a quick detachable pilot and M1 type buffer system? All possible.

If it is an M1 pilot, I believe it is a larger diameter than the 1928 and 1921 pilots and would necessitate enlarging the hole in the rear of the receiver.

Chuck help me understand what we are looking at! Pics don't add up...