Dont Buy From Coles!

Hello,

I just recieved my 1928 lower and stock from coles and the stuff is in awesome shape! I bought one of their "good" condition 28 lowers and a "good" condition complete stock. The lower was 199 and the stock was 49 bucks. The metal on both is like new with hardly any marks. A couple of dings in the wood but they still look great. Their "excellent" condition kits must be mint! They have complete 1928 kits starting at 599 I think. My order was also shipped super fast...two days to Pa.

I have one question about the pistol grip. The lower I got is from a savage made gun and my gun is a Bridgeport made. The grip is considerably thicker front to back then on my gun. You can really notice it when you hold the gun. I find my smaller original more comfortable to hold but that is only an opinion. Were there two diff. sizes or do they just vary a little from maker to maker? Thanks, Dan

QUOTE (Roland the Thompsongunner @ Sep 29 2005, 06:46 PM)
  I have one question about the pistol grip. The lower I got is from a savage made gun and my gun is a Bridgeport made. The grip is considerably thicker front to back then on my gun. You can really notice it when you hold the gun.

What do you mean your gun was "Bridgeport" made? All Savage made guns were marked with the New York, N.Y. or the Bridgeport, CT address. In fact, there were probably more of them made with the Bridgeport, CT address. Do you mean that your gun was made by Auto-Ordnance as opposed to Savage?

Auto-Ordnance didn't make their own grips so all Auto-Ordnance guns had Savage (S), Strombeck-Becker (M) or Dittenborn (D) made grips. The grip contour varied from manufacturer to manufacturer. In fact Savage grips seem to vary the most. Some early grips are very smooth and smaller like the Colt grips and later manufactur grips are fatter and more "slab-sided." Maybe Savage sub-contracted the grips to different contractors? Most Savage guns I have seen have Savage marked grips. Auto-Ordnance made guns seem to have a combination of the three contractors.

In summary, WWII grips varied in size and shape during the production run.

I'd echo that grip difference from production runs. I was holding two different savage grips in hand this spring (both were in pretty good condition that appeared original) there was a definate difference. One was quite slab sided, the other nicely curved. I've often wondered what the original craftsmen hunched over his (their) equipment might have had to work with when finishing off a grip. Presumably there was some sort of machine carved blank which which was given a touch up. A second or two or a little heavy hand with a sander can really change an outline.

I mean my gun was made at the Auto ordnance Bridgport plant and is not a Savage made gun (AO22163 serial number). My grip is very nicely shaped and looks like the colt era guns. It fits nicely in my hand and feels comfortable. The parts kit I got is from a 6 digit savage gun and it is definitely bigger and more slab sided and it feels uncomfortable to hold. There is a big difference between the two. I have not had either off the frames to look at the makers marks. I know the stock and foreend on my gun are marked with an M. Dan

QUOTE (Roland the Thompsongunner @ Sep 30 2005, 07:17 AM)
I have not had either off the frames to look at the makers marks. I know the stock and foreend on my gun are marked with an M. 

Hi Dan,

I would guess that your rear grip may also be an "M" marked, although just because the front grip is marked "M" it doesn't necessarily mean both are the same contractor. The "M" marked grips I have seen seem to be fairy smooth and consistent in shape.

Sounds like you have a nice A.O. gun there. The early A.O. 1928 Models are a little harder to find than their Savage counterparts.

Not a stupid question. It is www.coledistributing.com

They have a lot of good stuff for decent prices. Whole kits and parts separatly. It is a little tricky to find the thompson parts. You go to the parts section and keep clicking the next button and scolling through the list until you get to them. It seems like you are at the last page and it will change again. They have really good prices on complete internals, complete buttstocks, and lowers for '28s. I got the good only parts and they are still like new with a couple of small dings in the wood. Metal is like new with no visible wear at all. Dan