FOIA Request Came Back Quick!

I mailed in a FOIA request on October 3rd for my M3 Grease Gun and today a big packet showed up with the info! I had put that out of my mind thinking it would be years before I heard anything, so I was quite surprised to see this show up today. Only 2 1/2 months!

The earliest date on the paperwork is Form 2 from 1958. It looks like a hand written sheet and appears from the redacting to contain a bunch of GG's.

The next one is another Form 2 from January 1963. It looks like a group of 30 M3's with my serial number being the only one not redacted.

After that the info looks a little more typical with transfers in 1977, 1978, 1988, 1994, 2006, 2014, 2015, and then me! Even on the Form 4 to me, most everything is redacted except my name and address. :)

All in all it was 15 pages of information. Glad to get it.

FOIA M3 GG Form-2 1958.jpg

FOIA M3 GG Form-2 1963.jpg

Yes, I enjoy getting some of this old information on these guns. I welcome any opinions on what the info is revealing. It's obviously heavily redacted, but there are exposed bits of information here and there making it interesting.

I know very little about the machine gun scene in 1958, but from what I can make out it looks like this was a very large purchase of M3's and possible others, if multiple types of guns could be submitted on one multi-page Form 2.

From what is visible I can see that there are 4 columns on this page, and this is page 3 of I don't know how many! The columns appear to be labeled CASE #143, CASE #144, CASE #145, and CASE #146. At the right side of the page it looks like the last digit or two of the serial numbers is exposed, and I can count 20 partial serial numbers. That would mean that this page alone is transferring 80 Grease Guns!!

Would be great to know who was transferring all of these and from where? Being imported from out of the country? From the military?

Any insight on this is more than welcome!

John

It's my understanding that these didn't become available through commercial channels. My guess is re-imported from surplus in other countries, but I have no real knowledge on the subject. That opinion is based on what I've read in Frank's book, old MGN, old SAR, etc.

Here's what I used as a template for my FOIA: http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5587&hl=foia

I did not get it notarized.

John

Your very lucky to get it back so quick. you reminded me to send a few out today. up until 1-1.5 years ago I got them back quick like you, but the last few ive sent never came back..over 1-1.5 years now. On my Thompson they missed redacting lots of good stuff and I was able to piece together with help of another forum member my guns history. On my M16a2 I can see some interesting stuff too...most of them come back with blah/nothing good. You don't know until you try!