Drum For M1

Yes, that can be done. A reasonable gunsmith should be able to do this.

There was an M1 floating around a while ago that was cut for drums.

I would think that this is something PK could do.

I am sure someone has a photo of this somewhere....

Chris.

It is my understanding that the magwell is also to be modified in the M1.

Re adapting a drum to fit: Does this not put an amount of weight on the mag catch that far exceeds the original design intent? After all, the cuts in the receiver of the 21 and 28 designs carry the mass of the loaded mag.

Just shoot what the designers intended and buy a beltfed if you have to make a lot of noise. MHO.

As far as weight is concered, two 30 round mags taped together (as the GI's did) weighs more than a fifty round drum, and is supported only by the mag catch on a M1A1. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Bad idea - 2 30rd mag taped together is a better idea. Don't cut up a good gun and ruin the value.

This question has been asked many times on this site and will keep being asked. I don't think anyone who has a M1 will ask the question, if they know what their gun is worth - Just curious people or someone with a semi.

The 55 round stickmag is the answer.

Two 30 round magazines are fitted together and the result is a 55 round maazine that just clicks into place! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I am looking for one myself. If anybody has one for sale, email me.

Thanks,

Norm

Of course the long term answer is a '28 http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Did not find myself looking at '28s until a few days after buying the M1 .... LOL!

L.G. Murray, et al.:

With all due respect, G.I.'s were the users not the designers of the Thompsons. I personally would not perform any of the four scenarios presented, i.e., (i) drum cut an M1 receiver, (ii) use a drum (L or C) modified to attach to and shoot in an M1, (ii) shoot LV custom stick mags, and (iv) shoot two taped together XXX mags.

RE two taped XXX mags - this I believe to be even worse than a L drum in that such an arrangement adds a lateral load which will generate premature wear of the mag rib channel. Admittedly, the mag catch and trigger frame (in units that will be subjected to the forces from the arrangements ii-iv discussed) are readily available. Further most M1's do not have matching upper and lower assemblies so performing a swap to a new frame is probably not a big deal. (As an aside, I wonder how many M1 lowers were replaced because they were excessively worn/damaged due to the double XXX arrangement).

All that said, they are your guns, do as you wish. I merely point out that there are potential downsides to such decisions.

Best of luck with your endeavors.

Thanks guys. All your info was great. I agree, I do not want to modify the reciever. I do want to have drum. So I am cheching out how to get a drum to work on the M1. Below is an e-mail I recieved from the guys at Stony Creek

Hello,

I have a Thompson MI (FA) that does not accept drum mags. I know you guys do wonders with drum mags and I have a question. Could you take a regular Thompson stick mag and use that as the feed tower to attatch to the West hurley drums to work in my M1. I have a current production WH drum --- Can you build it to work???

Response

Hello, I have not tried that operation but would be very interested in taking a look at the drum and giving you my opinon of the possible outcome. You may send the items on over and I will email you before I alter them with my perspective and estimated price.

Please lightly score or otherwise mark the stick mag right where it leave the feed tower/receiver so we can be 100% sure we leave enough mag for proper fit and function. email us with any questions.Thanks, Jeff

What do you guys think??

Lafayette Gregory in Texas

I concur with what Z3 said.

There really isn’t a “tower” on a converted L drum for use in a M1, just slightly extended feed lips. Merle knows how to do this, take advantage of his experience with the Thompson and get your Uzi drum from Stony Creek