First Post - New Guy

Greetings all. I come seeking advice from the all-knowing and all-seeing Thompson GURUS. I really like the TSMG M1s and M1A1a and not too fond for the "Gangster" varients. Obviously, right now, I'm in no position to spend (provided I even HAD) the amount of money on a fully functional firearm. So, I thought I could get something that's a little cheaper then the real thing, but would still satiate my Thompson desires. The three options I am thinking of are:

1) Hudson M1A1 - It's my understanding that these guns fire caps but still simulate the mechanisms and movements of the real thing (ie: ejecting casings, etc...)?

2) AEG Thompson M1A1 - This is simply an electric BB gun but it's a little cheaper then the previous option.

3) Thompson M1A1 Replica - These are simple replicas of the original and are only for display.

I'm just curious in what your thoughts are on this.

One other question. What exactly are the weapons that are used in movies such as Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers? Are they authentic weapons that are just modified for shooting blanks?

Here's my .0002 cents worth, plus my own experience on the replicas. I own 4, one of which is an MGC '21. Fine copy. I have an I.M.A. M1A1, another goodie. Has a very nice lower trigger frame. The Hudson I haven't seen or fired. Punchy sells a lot of them on eBay, and is a nice guy. He'll tell you how they run, how loud they are, etc. The AEG looks a little cheesy to me, but I haven't seen one.

And yes, actors don't like carrying heavy pieces when they're not firing them during scenes. That, plus when an actor is "shot", the gun may go flying, so the prop is the better choice. Vic Morrow, on "COMBAT!", carried a wooden mock-up of his Thompson in many scenes; it's really hard to tell the difference when a good Hollywood prop builder does his or her stuff! The firing guns are indeed "real", with the blank adaptor hidden in the muzzle. Watch closely for .30 and .50 heavy machineguns on TV and movies; the hole in the muzzle end of the barrel looks more like a .22!

Hope this helps; welcome aboard!

prism, Hi and welcome to the boards! The Hudson M1A1 is a great "modelgun" they look pretty good and they simulate the firing action well...but..They aren't very loud so, if that is what you are looing for then you are out of luck. However, they are quiet enough to shoot in the house! Check my site out to see what I mean at www. mp40modelguns.com (in the video page) Although, I don't have a Hudson M1A1 (as of yet...) you can see the "MGC" 1921 Thompson. It, of course, functions the same as the Hudson. To me, the others are just wall hangers, as even if you don't have the special caps needed to "run" these "modelguns" the action is fairly well re-produced and the teardown is close enough to the real M1A1.

Thanks for the kind words Phil, I hope to improve it more in the next few days...More videos etc.

Actually, there is another Modelgun M1A1, the Tanaka. It is a great modelgun, but very expensive...If you want a less expensive Hudson modelgun, try www.dentrinity.com in their collector section under modelguns last time I checked it was $485.00. BUT...depending on where you live (of course)maybe you should start saving up for the real M1 or M1A1....I would if my state alowed it...