Patent Date Magazine Question

I presume the Patent Date magazines were pre 2nd World War manufactured?

I have one, the version described in the ‘Thompson Box And Drum Magazine Guide’, as a ‘Maguire Era “Error” Patent Date Magazine’. Does anyone know if these magazines are common to find these days or one of the harder to find Thompson XX magazines? Mine came with a deactivated M1928, (not US 1928A1), I bought back in 1997.

Are the Patent Date magazines in general, not necessarily the 'error' version, easy to come by?

Thanks

Richard

I presume the Patent Date magazines were pre 2nd World War manufactured?

I have one, the version described in the ‘Thompson Box And Drum Magazine Guide’, as a ‘Maguire Era “Error” Patent Date Magazine’. Does anyone know if these magazines are common to find these days or one of the harder to find Thompson XX magazines? Mine came with a deactivated M1928, (not US 1928A1), I bought back in 1997.

Are the Patent Date magazines in general, not necessarily the 'error' version, easy to come by?

Thanks

Richard

Richard,

Since buying a Colt this year I have bought only 3 such magazines and none of them are as nice as my Colt Navy. So I would say they are not common in nice condition.

Jim C

They are available. Rough, $40 or so nicer, $75 and up. Just from my memory though.

TD on this board had a couple for sale recently. PM him.

A lot of dealers are now selling TSMG stocks, pistol grips etc., (all with the British sling swivel alterations), so looks like some Govt. department is selling off old stock. There are a lot of stick magazines available too, but mainly AO Bridgeport and Seymour marked, although I found a Crosby marked magazine the other day.

I presume the Patent date magazines where the ones sent over to the UK, with the inital delivery of M1928's, so I am confident some will come up somewhere.

Thanks

Richard

A lot of dealers are now selling TSMG stocks, pistol grips etc., (all with the British sling swivel alterations), so looks like some Govt. department is selling off old stock. There are a lot of stick magazines available too, but mainly AO Bridgeport and Seymour marked, although I found a Crosby marked magazine the other day.

I presume the Patent date magazines where the ones sent over to the UK, with the inital delivery of M1928's, so I am confident some will come up somewhere.

Thanks

Richard

Durring the Russian/Lend Lease strike about 5-6 years ago we bought large quantities of 20 rnd mags. They were unissued and just about all were the usual AO, Sey marked type. Every now and then though, we would be rewarded with a pristine, patent date mag. I believe we also found 2 unmarked mags as well. It actually made sorting and wiping them down, fun. We assumed that these were missed when our original supplier went through them.

Bob D

A few years ago I bought all the 20 round mags that Ohio Ordnance had for sale.

Most were as new Auto Ordnance and Seymour but a few were WPS as well as patent dated.

I seem to remember getting one rough shot mag as well that I later sold.

Some of the mags had soldered witness holes as well. Back then I think I paid under $20 per mag.

Brian

Durring the Russian/Lend Lease strike about 5-6 years ago we bought large quantities of 20 rnd mags. They were unissued and just about all were the usual AO, Sey marked type. Every now and then though, we would be rewarded with a pristine, patent date mag. I believe we also found 2 unmarked mags as well. It actually made sorting and wiping them down, fun. We assumed that these were missed when our original supplier went through them.

Bob D

I bought several bundles of 20 round magazines from the English couple that used to attend the SOS in Louisville several years ago and was rewarded with a few pristine patent date magazines out of those.

About 7 to 8 years ago, the The Sportsmans Guide had XX mags for about $12 each if you purchased more than 5. I believe I bought 3 different batches, and ended up with 4 patent date mags, including one of the type that "rpbcps" mentions. I also received 4 with soldered witness holes from WWII British use in North Africa. Overalll condition was well used...they definitely saw some combat use. I still have 4 or 5 sitting ion a box that I never cleaned up.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 4 weeks later...

Fell lucky, a dealer in the UK, who has about 500 XX mags was good enough to look through his stock for me and found one nice patent magazine amongst them, which cost me the princely sum of £10 stirling. I also bought two Crosby XX mags at same time, one for £10 and one in not so good condition for £5, so pleased with them, something else to look forward to seeing, when I head home from work in about three weeks time.

stay safe

Richard

xx mags.JPG

Sticks and sling.JPG

Edited by rpbcps

Fell lucky, a dealer in the UK, who has about 500 XX mags was good enough to look through his stock for me and found one nice patent magazine amongst them, which cost me the princely sum of £10 stirling. I also bought two Crosby XX mags at same time, one for £10 and one in not so good condition for £5, so pleased with them, something else to look forward to seeing, when I head home from work in about three weeks time.

stay safe

Richardxx mags.JPGSticks and sling.JPG

Your Crosby XX magazines look better than the XX magazines I see on our side of the pond. Do the UK surplus dealers see WPS XX magazines or WPS L drums very often?

TW56

TW56

Your Crosby XX magazines look better than the XX magazines I see on our side of the pond. Do the UK surplus dealers see WPS XX magazines or WPS L drums very often?

TW56

There are a lot of former lend lease XX magazines in pristine condition in the UK. Most tend to be marked AO Bridgeport or Seymour. So I was pleased the dealer was happy to look through his stock, to find me the Patent magazine and Crosby's. My son, who took the pictures for me, I am in North Africa at the moment, said one of the Crosby's looks like it is in very good condition.

Worcester Pressed Steel XX mags and also L drums are something I am still looking for, and on this occassion never found. Plenty of AO Bridgeport L drums about at the moment, in very good condition, and the odd Seymour and Crosby.

Stay safe

Richard

Chopper,

The last time I was buying patent date mags, they were going for $100 per and higher depending on condition,

Are Crosby stick mags painted like there L drums? It seems like I'm seeing finish peeling similar to the L drums.

I don't remember seeing that on the ones I have buried in the safe.

Thanks,

Darryl

Edited by darrylta

Darryl,

it appears to be painted, when I get home I'll confirm that, one way or the other.

stay safe

Richard

If I'm remembering correctly, the Brits requested the painted finish. Many (most?) Crosby L mags I've seen are painted. I guess that carried over to the XX mags, too.

Bob D

stay safe

Richard

xx mags.JPG

Sticks and sling.JPG

These are what remains for finish on my Crosby XX magazines.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/TW56/Crosby%20XX%20magazines/IMG_7126.jpg

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/TW56/Crosby%20XX%20magazines/IMG_7128.jpghttp://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/TW56/Crosby%20XX%20magazines/IMG_7129.jpg

TW56

Very good, I see one of them is soldered, I have been looking for one of them too, but still on my wish list for the moment.

stay safe

Richard

• 2 months later...
I know this is an older topic but recalled it after picking up 3 patent mags over the weekend at a local gun show. All three were the 'error" mags and not in the best of shape as far as finish goes. Not pitted or worn but mostly a flat fininish with freckling. One had the witness holes soldered, much nicer/cleaner job, than a couple other soldered AO XX mags I have. I picked up all three for $70. He had two others in the box, one being a Crosby in about the same shape. The $8 addmission to the show was waived for me that day so I was really only out $62. I feel that's not bad. They will go well with my Navy when the transfer is approved. Chuck

• 1 year later...

Dear all,

sorry because I'm novice here ! But I have trouble with the patented "mistake date" magazine :

on pined "Thompson Box and Drum Magazine Guide" here on this forum, the mistake date is :

PATENTED-AUG 20,1920

AUG. 24, 1920-JAN.11,1921

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh209/paulsavoy/Divers%20Forum/PatentDates_Web_zps30672628.jpg

but in the book "Thompson the American Legend - the First Submachine Gun" by Tracie L. Hill, page 343 :

"...the "repeat Patent" Magazine is marked with tree patent dates, the first two mistakenly identical... the first "AUG. 24, 1920" was later corrected to read "AUG. 20, 1920".

also found articles on internet indicating that repeated date "AUG. 24" is the mistake.

So, witch one is the "mistake" mag ??

thanks !

Paul,

The word on the street is there were no patents granted on Aug 20, 1920, but there were 2 patents granted on Aug 24, 1920.

There fore the one with the 24 dates are correct and the one with the 20 date is incorrect.

Jim C

Thanks Jim

so the mistake is in the famous book when it is write "later corrected to 20", it seems unbelievable on such reference book : mistake on mistake !

i found other internet pages showing the same confusion.

but what is the rarest of the 2 ?