Johnson LMG F/S

• 4 weeks later...
Ahhh... for the old days of .35 cent gas and cheap machineguns....I'd like to have one or a Lewis but I'm not Bill Gates.

This is my gun I hate to see it go, but it is too nice to shoot. It is from one of the Winchester museums and almost looks unfired.

I had an ongoing bad luck relation with these for 25 years. I have wanted one from the mid-eighties ( when they were 3,000 to 3,500 ) , but whenever I had the money one could not be found. As soon as an emergency would hit ( let's see , jaw surgury and two tumor surgeries on my wife , and a new car after an uninsured mexician ran a stop sign and t-boned my wife then skipped back across the border , that would be about four times over 10-15 years ) , one would come up for sale. By the time I had the money together again , they were gone. Now they've gone so high , there is no way I can. Thought about a semi-lmg , but every time I hear of a 5-6,000 one , it's gone , but plenty of the 15,000 ones are around .

Some things are just not to be.

Chris

Well , don't feel too bad for me . I do have at least one of every other WW2 USGI weapon inc. the full autos ( except the BAR , it's a OOW semi ) , and yes , they've done quite a bit better than any investment , stock , or savings. I did take out a loan , once , for my water cooled 1917 DLO. I believe I paid $1,000 down and a hundred something a month for two years . The JLM has just been the one that's eluded me for so long . Should have done another loan , but who knew ?

On the bright side of this , a friend has given me two as new ANM2 .30cal machine guns that were removed from a WW2 dive bomber that belly-flopped in the desert around here in WW2. They have gone through several hands after being found and recovered . They are new and complete from the factory , minus , of course , the right side plates from the trunion back. A couple of manufactorers are looking at making a run of semi-auto side plates . I've already gathered what I need to have two USMC " stingers" built. I might be willing to trade one of them for a JLM semi , we'll see.

Good luck in your sale.

Chris

Well , don't feel too bad for me . I do have at least one of every other WW2 USGI weapon inc. the full autos ( except the BAR , it's a OOW semi ) , and yes , they've done quite a bit better than any investment , stock , or savings. I did take out a loan , once , for my water cooled 1917 DLO. I believe I paid $1,000 down and a hundred something a month for two years . The JLM has just been the one that's eluded me for so long . Should have done another loan , but who knew ?

On the bright side of this , a friend has given me two as new ANM2 .30cal machine guns that were removed from a WW2 dive bomber that belly-flopped in the desert around here in WW2. They have gone through several hands after being found and recovered . They are new and complete from the factory , minus , of course , the right side plates from the trunion back. A couple of manufactorers are looking at making a run of semi-auto side plates . I've already gathered what I need to have two USMC " stingers" built. I might be willing to trade one of them for a JLM semi , we'll see.

Good luck in your sale.

Chris

Was it an SBD Dauntless or SB2C Helldiver?They both had dual .30's in the back IIRC

No idea. They had passed through at least four hands before I was given them. The plane must have had engine trouble and they ( or he or she) put her down. I hope they made it out of there. It's easy to get lost out here , and if they made it out , finding thier way back to a small plane would be iffy at best . After the war , someone found her and removed the two MGs still packed in cosmoline. They couldn't find her again to get anything else. They cut the sideplates out , and they've been gifted to several people as each person got tired of having them. The person who gave them to me as thanks for favors done had them under his bed for over 10 years. He was thinking I could use them as spare parts for my 1917s / 1919s , but of course , I can't. One was still in the cosmoline , so it was easy to keep the parts separate . When the semi-auto sideplates become available , I'll build them into stingers ( unless , of course , someone gives me a SBD :>).

Chris

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...