Display Quality 27a1

I was in Fort Worth for a couple of weeks working and wandered into a local shop. They had a new production 27A1 displayed on the shelf that had nicely rounded grips and the buttstock was fitted to all of the metal parts. I asked who had reworked the wood for them and they said it had come out of the box from the factory that way, just got it a few days ago. I looked it over and noticed the serial number started with the prefix "KD" instead of "KA". It also had a low number "KD08xx". Just wondering if Kahr is finally staring to listen or if this "KD" means Kahr Display quality. It was a live gun not a dummy.(No comment needed AF http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif ) Has anyone else seen these?

I have heard that they were going to make guns with display quality wood.

IMHO, they should make them ALL like that! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

Was there anything else different besides the wood and serial number prefix?

How was the blueing?

Norm

I thought I recalled seeing, on the Kahr site, some sort of special 1927 with nicer wood. Might have even come in a special case or something. Don't see anything there now about it...guess they may be trying to do them all that way.

The blueing was nice, same as the one I bought a year ago. One thing different besides wood was the compensator. It was pinned just under the sight like all but only from one side!? The pin was installed deep inside and from the side opposite the safety. The serial number so low when others I have seen were in the 5,000 range made me wonder.

Well, if Kahr finally starts to produce quality Thompsons, I may have to purchase another one, or two! I wonder how the metal machining work is and the functionality/reliability, though!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Regards, Walter

You mean blind pinned from one side? That is curious. OK, I wouldn't get my hopes up all too yet. I examined a few with the new wood, and I would estimate 50% of those had really undesirable Rear/Vertical Grips. They were rounded a little too much. The others didn't look bad at all. However, they were all mounted on 3/4" Grip Mounts, even though Kahr is producing 1/2". I emailed them awhile ago inquiring to see whether or not they will be installing any 1/2" Grip Mounts. Their answer? "No", And Kahr has no intentions of ever offering Detachable Stocks. One more thing. All the ones I looked had a nice Matte Black/Blue finish. Edited by LIONHART

I believe that the Kahr serial numbers follow a pattern:

K (Always the first letter)

(A,B,C,D) - I believe this is the year of manufacture (D being 2003, C being 2002, etc)

Next you would have the serial.

I have a M1 purchased at the beginning of last year and the serial starts KC2XXX.

I would have to say that my wood looks great too.

Chris.

Edited by DC Chris

• 3 months later...
Trying to find info on my just-purchased 1927 A1, and saw these posts. Kahr serial number KD-09XX - Beautiful wood, but nothing else really special - i.e. plain cardboard box. Comp. was pinned, but do not know what else to look for. Nice solid piece though, with a rock solid mag. Edited by shield20

Was it in the $750 to $900 price range? Or did you pay a lot more for those extra features?

Shield20:

Welcome! Got any pictures? Does it shoot ok?

Thanks guys!

Ahh - haven't shot it YET - maybe today, as I got my new S&W 1911 and a trip to the range is in order!

I did call Kahr about the serial numbers - lady who called me back said "the number ranges are assigned by BATF". "KD is a recent manufacture".

Mine is aluminum receiver - which is love/hate right now, I do enjoy the less weight, but it is..well - Alum! I traded in a shotgun for this 1927 and the pistol - so I had very limited choice at this store. Anyway it is a very solid piece, and 'they' have been making these lightweights for years - so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I just got a plastic case and horizontal fore-grip from Kahr - only took 2 days to get here! 30 round mag was back-ordered, though I ordered 5 more from another vendor. Hopefully Kahr has listening to complaints, as it appears this well made - and is tight! So far I did get to hand-cycle a few rounds with no problems.

Really is a nice looking piece - I will get some pics up ASAP.

Edited by shield20

Sheild20,

As far as the aluminum receiver goes, I wouldn't worry. I don't think it's going to wear out anytime soon.

The finish is a bit fragile, but the gun is lighter.

Like most WH/Kahrs, it will probably need some "tweaking" in the beginning.

Have fun!

Norm

Shield 20-

I,too,have an aluminum receiver Kahr 1927a1.it works well.The only problem i have had is the rear sight repeatedly coming loose to the point the threads in the aluminum receiver stripped.It is currently at PK's getting a fix for this problem.I might have been able to avoid this problem if I had initally used some loctite before I had retightened the screws so many times.Hope you can avoid this.

REISINGSTAR http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info guys.

Reisingstar - thanks for the tip on the sight screws - i had tightened them last nite after reading other posts - but like the idea of adding loctite NOW even better - will do at lunch time!

Weird note on the al. finish - there was a 'tick' mark on the recvr. that was 'silver' - I tried Van's Bluing - which would not take, understandably I guess - but then tried a Birchwood Casey Bluing pen and it covered it up perfectly. Don't know how or why this worked - but I ain't complaining!

I got some high-qualtiy grease from here at work - "high pressure/high-temp" stuff to cut down on the steel vs. alum friction - as much as I plan on shooting this - I will be OK. This is my new 'same caliber as my pistol' survival weapon choice (along with my M1 carbines and M1 Garand - I should be OK!;)) Anyway, the A1C gives me an excuse to pick up an M1 model ASAP!

Just bought an M3 sling off wbay - and will be trying out the horiz. forend at lunch time too. Wood looks like a perfect match!