Photo

Sterling Owner Poll

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: What Sterling do you own? (59 member(s) have cast votes)

What Sterling do you own?

1. Voted 1. Andrewski (22 votes [39.29%])

Percentage of vote: 39.29%

2. 2. Quinnell (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

3. 3. Erb (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

4. 4. Sterling (original manufacturer) (13 votes [23.21%])

Percentage of vote: 23.21%

5. 5. Other (details) (11 votes [19.64%])

Percentage of vote: 19.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John C

John C

• Regular Group
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Duh, guns.

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:02 PM

Hi folks. I haven't been on Frank's website since I sold my Reising. I didn't remember there was a Sterling Board so I'm new here. I heard from there are only about 300 full auto Sterlings in circulation so far and I thought it would be interesting to poll the board and see how many owners surf this board and what types you own. I'll start: my Form 4 for a Mk4 I had built by John Andrewski on a DLO tube and IMA kit has been at the ATF for 8 weeks. The gun is in my dealers safe. As for accessories I have a Sterling marked bayo in an original British scabbard and frog.

What do you folks have? Any comments that benefit all of us are welcome.

#2 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 13 January 2004 - 07:17 PM

John C,...HOWDY...I have 2 inbound from Quinnel...left his shop thurs....haven`t arrived to me 100 miles away, go figure..I`ll post more info when I can see for myself. #1 rule NFA= waiting and waiting and wa...,

#3 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 15 January 2004 - 07:57 PM

Annousing Twins!!! Just today,2 Quinnell sterlings...BEAUTIFUL!!!!...off to the range on Saturday to test fire and make new friends. wink.gif

#4 AlanDavid

AlanDavid

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:British military secondary issue small arms.

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:51 AM

I have a MKIV (L2A3) Sterling, a MkV (L34A1) Sterling and an original Patchet Machine Carbine serial number 29.

All these are stored in New Zealand with the rest of my collection of British military small arms. All guns are live, not deactivated in any way. I'v also got a Mk1* Lanchester, not sure if that counts?

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

#5 nuge

nuge

• Regular Group
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:03 AM

I have a CPS L2A3 replica (a favorite). I love the workmanship and sense of history that are part of these replicas, not to mention the reliability and smooth operation. Rick Winters has done an awesome job in bringing them to market. Shotgun News did a piece on the CPS sterling last April. I already had my unit when the acticle came out - one of the few times I felt I was ahead of the curve in owning a cool firearm. I also have a Quinell reworked PAWs sterling.

#6 nuge

nuge

• Regular Group
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

I have a MKIV (L2A3) Sterling, a MkV (L34A1) Sterling and an original Patchet Machine Carbine serial number 29.

All these are stored in New Zealand with the rest of my collection of British military small arms. All guns are live, not deactivated in any way. I'v also got a Mk1* Lanchester, not sure if that counts?

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

Wow, that's an amazing lineup of firearms you have. Do you get to shoot them in New Zealand? I assume you cannot possess, let alone shoot them in them in Australia...

#7 woodsy

woodsy

• Regular Group
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Long time collector of automatic weapons, 43 years as a gunsmith.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

I own a factory Mk 4 (L2A3) and a Mk 5 (L34A1) live in NZ. I get to shoot them (and a few of my other MG's) now and then for Army training demos, but generally NZ MG owners are not permitted to shoot their guns. We are allowed to have them live and they must be stored with a vital part removed and stored separately. Our law recognises that they are a significant investment and their value would be ruined if they were permanently deactivated. A collectors licence is only issued to those people of good character who can demonstrate a bona-fide interest in collecting (this tends to eliminate the 'closet commandos'). There are about 4,000 licensed collectors in NZ out of a total population of 4.5 million, and about 350,000 general firearms licences. We have no registration (it was scrapped in 1983 as being a complete waste of time) of normal sporting rifles and shotguns, but the Police keep a register of MG's, miltary semi-autos, and modern handguns.

#8 AlanDavid

AlanDavid

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:British military secondary issue small arms.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:34 PM

"Wow, that's an amazing lineup of firearms you have. Do you get to shoot them in New Zealand? I assume you cannot possess, let alone shoot them in them in Australia"

I have shot them in NZ but as Woodsy says it is only really possible on a military base. MG's can be owned in Australia by licenced dealers or theatrical armoures. Other than shoting blanks for movie work they can not be shot.This is the main reason I have left most of my collection in storage in NZ. Perhaps I should move to Nevada!

Regards
AlanD
Sydney

#9 copenhagen

copenhagen

• Regular Group
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

Which of these Sterlings is considered to be most desireable? I would assume Sterling, followed by Andrewski?

#10 Sandman1957

Sandman1957

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1166 posts
  • Interests:Submachinegun NFA collecting
    History
    Scuba Diving
    Hunting

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

PK Makes a great fiber optic front sight post. PM him. I love mine.

#11 MG08

MG08

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 536 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:37 PM

I own an "andrewski" and an original.  the system poll will not let me vote twice.  I was the guy who originally wrote tech branch to do the "stenling conversion back in the mid 80s.  Got Stan to convert my gun and use the letter to do others.  Then I tripped into an original gun.  Then in the 90s we did a run of past sample Sterlings guns based on the kits we could get .Still have one of those.  I dont shoot hem much, If somebody wants a post sample gun, let me know.  I will make them a good deal.  I am keeping the transferables ...... :o

#12 Ready.fire.aim

Ready.fire.aim

• Regular Group
  • 17 posts
  • Location:Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
  • Interests:9mm SMG, also hunting wild hogs at night on foot in my pastures with a subsonic, suppressed rifle- it's a rush!

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:55 PM

I have two Andrewski Mk4 on DLO tubes.
I had Andy Blaschik convert one into a MK5. Very fun little SMG.

#13 m3bobby

m3bobby

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:22 PM

I have a bit of a Hybrid, its a Sterling body with Fazakerley parts.

#14 DZelenka

DZelenka

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 697 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:50 PM

I just picked up an Integral Arms Mk V built on a DLO tube. They built 4 of the guns last year and the workmanship is excellent. One of my favorite SMGs to shoot.

#15 FrostyEOD

FrostyEOD

• Regular Group
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:26 PM

MkIV Andrewski on a DLO tube, down to the last few months of waiting on the ATF.

#16 tallawa2

tallawa2

• Regular Group
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:30 PM

MK IV L2A3 kit installed on a Wilson Arms Sten tube. I guess this would be referred to as a Stenling. Not sure who actually put it all together, but it is a very reliable weekend shooter.

#17 koldt

koldt

• Regular Group
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:08 PM

Mine is a Long Branch C1 SMG. (Sterling)

#18 huggytree

huggytree

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2900 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, Guns, Work

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

Rick Winters is making one for me right now...should be done in a month+...stamp maybe in 6 months

#19 Smitau

Smitau

• Regular Group
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:06 AM

I have an interesting one. It's a Sterling MKVI semi auto low serial number that was being converted to Full auto at Billistics, at the time of the ban. Billistics went bankrupt and this gun ended up getting confiscated by the ATF. It runs well, had the blocking bar removed, MK IV bolt. Still has semi auto barrel and trunion. Barrel cut to standard length.

#20 DZelenka

DZelenka

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 697 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:54 AM

I have a Sterling built Mk IV inbound to me for delivery Wednesday. When it gets here, I will post some pictures.