Another Terminal Case Of Thompsonitis...

Well, had my first chance to handle a TSMG last weekend. On full-auto, it seemed like the '28 and M1 each kicked less than some .38 revolvers. Maybe it was overhype about Thompson recoil, or the fact that my handling technique has improved since the last time I was at the pistol range (Massad Ayoob's power stance/high hand/crush grip/front sight/roll the trigger formula paid off the $20 for my copy of the Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery, 5th Edition.) What a rush!

I'm hooked, I have officially contracted Thompsonitis and I am terminal! Still a little sore from the AK-47 though.

I'm not sure if I should name the gentleman on this board who facilitated this opportunity, but I will say that discussing NFAs and shooting for three hours on Saturday was probably some of the best hours to date of my 24 years of life.

Now if only we could get rid of that damned NFA ban here in Washington... anybody have any ideas on how to start undoing this decade-old mistake?

EDIT: Photo to follow as soon as I have access to my digital camera and a computer with its drivers...

Edited by nedry

Ah! another virgin deflowered...sounds like a great way to spend a weekend...congratulations on your good fortune...there is nothing like breakin` in a newbie to the wonderful world of the NFA,...the smiles never stop... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

QUOTE (nedry @ Nov 1 2004, 06:39 PM)
On full-auto, it seemed like the '28 and M1 each kicked less than some .38 revolvers. Maybe it was overhype about Thompson recoil, or the fact that my handling technique has improved since the last time I was at the pistol range

Or the fact the Thompson weighs about 12 pounds. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

That too. In fact, my only issue with the TSMG is that the things kinda want to tear your arm out of its socket if you're a physical wuss (5'4", 160lbs., not much muscle mass) like me.

No problems other than that. Definite "I have GOT to get me one of THESE!" kind of position as far as buying long guns in the future.

nedry, were you shooting it Sgt. Rock style? (one in each hand) I'm 5'4" and 175 lbs, no problem - maybe it's that extra 15 lbs of muscle http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Kevin

nedry,

Welcome and enjoy!

I believe the Thompson in any variant has the highest SEG factor of any gun known to humankind.

As for shooting, just takes practice. Had a couple women first time full-auto shooters use mine over the last month. After a few times with 5 rounds in the mag they got used to the "push" and did just fine.

Many happy times with your Thompson to you!

Nedry, short bursts through the AK. Much better than full mag dumps for sure. I have often wished that our laws up here would change, but they won't, unless folks get involved to make it happen. Man, if it did, my first MG would be an AK, followed by an UZI. Thompson ( http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/unsure.gif ) comes in third...

Of course, I have the handicap of being a city-slicker too, and an especially sedentary one at that. Before I do much more with AK's, I need to bulk up my arm.

Grip? The standard, two-hand version, modified to accommodate me being a southpaw.

Again, I gotta stress, rented weapons in a state other than home... damn Commie gun-grabbers infesting Washington... Hope Rossi wins the governor's race today. I think part of the political problem is that we full-auto fans tend to stay with our own little clique. Generally, you guys have been an exception to this rule, but it seems to me like most full-auto'ers are antisocial toward a "new breed" and don't want to discuss their hobby, like it's a "dirty little secret," which doesn't help to draw in the new blood like me required if the hobby is to survive--without recruiting a next generation, at best, full-auto appreciation will end when the last of us currently-active aficionados croaks--assuming that the youngsters don't get indoctrinated by standard Demo propaganda and legislate us out of existence first.

Okay, political rant over. Thanks, guys.

I lived in Washington state for my first 36 years, and researched the RCW thoroughly for a way out or around the state machinegun ban. Couldn't figure it (except for active-duty military), and don't see any way to repeal it. I sat there and saw Cox's Thompson catalogs with 90% and 95% 1921 guns at the outrageous prices of $1,250 in the 70's and could only hope to somehow get one. In 1990, I moved to Texas, and got an 80% 1921ac and drum for the horribly-inflated price of $5,000. Best you can probably do is to just make friends with some folks in either Idaho or in Oregon, and buy them a lot of ammo.

My state only went Class III in 2001.. I have wanted a Thompson since I was in high school in the 60's if I hadn't come into some inheritance money .. that dream would not be fulfilled now.. and I still try to shop wisely....I remember bein' told in here the first time I asked about purchasing a nice TSMG what prices I should look for and was told that "Oh.. I wouldn't pay any more than 5K for a 'Powder Springs' or 'Group Ind.' or any of the West Hurley's". That was less than 6 months ago and those are up in the 13+K range now.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif ..My tube Sterling was just under 5K .. and I saw just a tube for sale last week for over 5K, just the tube!!. It's insane... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

well,over here it's a total different story.

looks to me like a SMG -boom.

here,you can buy(IF you are allowed=firearms dealer?) a nice M1 F/A for about 800 to 1000 Euro. let's say 1000 bucks.

I really love Thompsons,and if I was allowed to buy a full auto ,I certainly would.

But for the prices they go in the USA,......NEVER.

it's crazy.