There Is Still A Little Integrity Left

The guy who sold me the Bridgeport M1 called the other night to say he had received my first Bank Cheque. He told me that after he and I had made our deal that a dealer had arrived an hour later to look over the two guns. When told that the Bridgeport was gone he got very PO'd and asked why it had been sold when he had been coming to look at it. When told that I had made my offer to take the weapon sight unseen at the price agreed to, he upped my offer by $1000.00. The seller declined to take the money and make an extra thousand clams because "We had a deal". Ya gotta admire a guy who does that. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Guys,

A verbal agreement is legally binding in some states. And funds need not be exchanged to enter into such a "Verbal Contract". I lived in Louisiana for 50 years and it was one of those states. If it could be proven that a person did not honor such a "Verbal Contract", you were within your rights to litigate. So it was a wise practice to bring along someone as a witness on any business dealings of importance, usually your attorney.

Carey

Lousiana law is based on Napoleonic Code (as a former French holding). To the best of my knowledge, the rest of the U.S. law is based on English common law and most sales of goods are subject to the version of Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) adopted by particular the state legislature. Each of the other states can and do have differing versions of the UCC.

Carey

I agree a verbal agreement is a contract BUT the dealer could have as easily taken the low road and to fight it would have cost how much vs the gain who knows but IMHO not a likely fun scenario regardless. Hawkeye_Joe you should post the name of the dealer here and on Bowers Board of Inquiry, I guarantee you there are 10 X as many situations where a buyer is complaining rather than praising, so it does not hurt to say a good word when it is earned.

michael

the dealer i got my 1928 from had integrity as well. every week the same guy would call and offer more money than the dealer and i agreed to (the dealers price, not mine). the dealer said no, i made a deal already. the guy wouldn't take no for an answer, he called every week offering a couple grand more than i paid. the dealers answer was always the same, "it's already sold." there are still good dealers/guys out there.