Want To Know: Tsmg Wwii 1928 Guns

Ok, 5-years ago there were 3-10 transferable 1928 TSMG's available every month, 2-years ago maybe 2 or 3 guns a month, now I am seeing maybe one a month or one every 6-weeks or more. So where does one go to find one nowadays? The boards certainly don't have them, and most class 3's I have talked to have 'buyer's waiting lists' for them. Knob Creek has Post Sample guns and some Pre Sample guns at ridiculous prices. Locally a dealer is asking for a $2000 check deposit to get on the TSMG list! Is this the reason the West Hurley's are now at $10K plus? Even 3-years ago an occasional papered dewat or reweld hit the boards for sale....when was the last time you even heard of a papered dewat Tommy for sale? Frustrated wannabe owner wants to know how to find one!

Supply and demand. Finite supply, infinite demand. Just have to keep looking and check multiple dealers. No secret, just some luck I guess.....

it is now a crap-shoot find them when you can..........lomont had over a dozen thompson's for sale at s.a.r.show,he sold them all at the show as far as i know.........alot of dealer's over the year's never did have any in stock.now with the high cost, big profit>"thompson greed"thing going around.more and more dealer's are getting in on it,and buying them like never before........

i used to have a thompson want to buy list,and i surely never charged anybody to be on it.........{boy that show's no class}hubba -hubba send me $2,000.00 and you can wish to............one big fat commercial market for them.........

do some of these dealer's care about the history of them??

you already know my answer to that one........

anyways shop gun-list tho slim and shot gun new''s same story,the net,w.t.b.ad's......and local p.d.'s local shop's,and last but not least.........the m.g.dealer/s.

funny many now are like carny barker's..........see my next ad.wink!! take care,ron

I also found this to be the case when I was looking for the M1a1. The ones in a reasonable price range would disappear sometimes within minutes of being posted on the usual forums. This leads me to believe that there are a lot of people out there, checking the boards frequently, just for Thompsons. Seems like the only ones you have a chance for are the ones listed higher than usual. That really sucks! Wished I had started collecting earlier. I know that's not much help, but that's the way it is now.

They are disappearing into private collections. I am guilty...I would not sell mine for twice what I paid for it and I bought it 2 1/2 years ago. Mine is really not for sale anyway. THAT is the problem. No one is selling.

The other thing is if WH and M1/M1A1's are bringing 10-12 and 12-14 respectively, then a Savage 1928 IMHO is worth at least 18-20K. Where does that leave Colts? When is the last time you saw a few Colt 21/28's come across Sturm or Subguns??? It seems these days its "get what you can get NOW and pray that what you want comes up for sale in the next little bit." Accessories are no different...

Next year your going to be paying 20K for a 1928 Savage and you will consider yourself LUCKY you got it.

That is the nature of the business.

Jr

i will sell my savage 1928a1>when i am able to buy back one of my colt 1921a's. that i sold back in 1988-89........

thats just the way it is today.......sad but true........nobody seems to want to give something up until they find another...........wink!! good luck in the search.take care,ron

Don't jump out of an airplane without a parachute.

N-123,

It took me about 5 months of market watching to find the Savage I bought. Then it was on the sturmgewehr board for three days before I talked myself into spending more than I wanted to (and obviously more than anyone else did at the time - almost two years ago).

Today, maybe word of mouth may be the best bet.

You have made a critical decision - you know what you want. That alone makes your search somewhat easier. The buyer who wants "a Thompson" does not really know what they want.

Good luck!

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Jun 28 2004, 06:12 PM)
QUOTE (colt21a @ Jun 28 2004, 11:52 AM)
i will sell my savage 1928a1>when i am able to buy back one of my colt 1921a's. that i sold back in 1988-89........

thats just the way it is today.......sad but true........nobody seems to want to give something up until they find another...........wink!! good luck in the search.take care,ron

Yes, I think that's the essence of it. Maybe we need to coin a new term to describe this market: Thompson Constipation http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

phil that sounds all plugged up.it's more like "Thompson Envy"

but i always say let's not hoard.one or two is enough.....this way in sharing more collector's get to enjoy.....wink!! you can say you read that here first.......take care,ron

just chatted with a fellow today{that sounds so english}

he just was offered a 95% overstamp for $35,000.00... i mentioned for him to sign here and get on board for some wonderful opinion's.........hopefully he will send nick a few buck's wink!! take care,ron

Despite constipation from the collectors, there are still two other sources for Thompsons these days, those that become available from PDs and those from estate sales.

I was thinking of the same thing, Jim

I made him an offer on it back when he had it listed for 14.5 K and he told me with today's market that he thought he'd have no problem selling it and my offer was way too low.. that was over a month ago and three turns through Gunbroker.....I did lowball a lot .. but that thing looks like it was carried on the CSS Hunley.

PK would have a good time restoring that one http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

a boat anchor, at a boat anchor price,$9,000.00 and $2,000 to make it right............i never had one that bad that i can remember..........well maybe one.........and the guy restored it..........look around there are a few more to search.........and i am sure it will be around for a little while more............wink!!

and i have no intention of touching it............to me it's "thompson greed"and it should go to the devil..........or did he say,satan!!!

take care,ron

Wished the powers that be could see the importance of releasing these to real collectors.

I just checked out the Thompson on GunBroker and bet if that gun can talk there would sure be some neat stories.

If that Thompson could talk, I think the first thing it would say is "OUCH!!!!"

Just think, Norm, if you had a Thompson like that, you could drag it through the dirt like Sgt. Saunders, and not even feel guilty.

Sgt,

Don't let the sarcasm fool you. I'll take ANY full-auto Thompson (or replica) I can get my hands on (as long as it's legal!) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

If the price was right, I'd buy that gun in minute.

It would be a good gun to refinish.

Norm

Sgt,

The PD source for TSMG's is haphazard at best and the results are not necessarily commensurate with the time consuming efforts. Just ask Mike. The estate NFA weapon will undoubtedly wind up at an auction like JC Devine. Last time I checked on this board, auctions like his caused posters to respond with a paroxysm of palpable petulance aimed at Devine's perfidy.