Semi Auto Section And Full Auto Section

Semi Auto Forum?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Semi Auto Forum?

• I support a seperate semi auto forum (post why please)
    • I oppose a seperate semi auto forum (post why please)
    • I don't give a F&*K (post why please :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full auto elitist suck..... We are all into the same thing full or semi..... It's not like the board is moving to fast or anything... Why else would you want two boards other than to separate factions?

QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Feb 2 2005, 12:25 AM)
Full auto elitest suck..... We are all into the same thing full or semi..... It's not like the board is moving to fast or anything... Why else would you want two boards other than to separate factions?

Full auto elitests (is that a word?) do suck. Thats not the reason at all. (thanks for actually replying too, BTW).

This board moves pretty slow at times as we all know, you are right about that.

Semi and Full are NOT the same thing. Its not even in the same ballpark. We both know that. I don't think that it would create factions either...unless people with bad attitudes started that kind of behaviour. I think the board would grow a lot more if the semi auto only guys and gals were allowed to discuss thier guns without having to post in here. I have been told on more than one occasion that posting on this site about a semi intimidated the poster and they never posted.

I think a semi auto only forum would foster growth of the site.

Well,

I voted "I don't give a f&$k"

The only reason I voted that way is because it was closer to my opinion than the other choices (I do actually give a f@#k.)

Separating the SA guys from the FA guys is fine with me, as long as the SA guys can post on the FA board. There is no doubt that the TSMG (of any kind) is different than the 27A1, but many SA guys want to become FA guys. Those that obtain real TSMGs are lucky; the others that do not, want to get as close to a real TSMG as possible (SBRs, display guns, etc.)

With all that said, there will be many questions about SA guns that are better asked to FA guys.

I like the board the way it is. If it did split, then so be it. It wouldn't stop me from visiting the board.

I understand what Z3 is saying. There may be some that feel that SA people are not worthy of hanging out with the FA guys.

Even as proud as I am of my converted 27A1 to FA, I do realize that it is still not a "true" Thompson; only a replica. It is however a "true" sub-machinegun and I would hope that others on the board would not try to ding me when I refer to it as a Thompson.

Just my $.02 worth.

Norm

I don't give a F. The reason why is it wouldn't matter. Look at the breakdown we have now. Check the precentages of usage between the categories. What it comes down to, the vast majority of both semi and full will congregate in the same place anyhow.

Seems like this was asked before and the answer was keep them together.

I would oppose a split for the following reason. A lot of the FA guys have lots and lots of knowledge. If a split was made, would they take the time to browse the semi section and answer questions they had knowledge about? And it should work in vice versa...who knows, some guy out there with a Kahr 1927 might know the answer to the hardest of FA Thompson question, but he'll never be able to share the answer because he only browses the semi section cause that's what he owns.

Oh yeah, and I hope the question I posted last night about my 1927 wasn't the breaking point to do this poll http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I say that it is fine as it is. There are a lot of SA guys that have questions that a lot of SA people don't know. But the FA people may. And as I once was, a SA person. I have learned tons of information here. And if you get the bug started, the SA people will become, God and their state allowing, FA people.

Ya know thats the problem with this country everyone whats their own identity, black-american irish-american german-american, full- auto semi-auto wheres it gonna end.........

Gotta say this, Either your an American or get the HELL OUT...... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif .........

and take your ways with ya.

Joe

I oppose a seperate board, for the following reason. To say that we don't have time or don't need to cover old stuff posted by "new" people who ask questions about a Semi in the Full forum and that it "just takes up space" is being elitist. Hell I come here many many times a day and there is nothing being posted at all. We do have time and there is always something to learn. The semi owners want a full auto and hopefully will one day get one, as I did, and they shouldn't feel "second class" because they haven't reached that stage of collecting yet .... and no I don't feel that the door should be opened to every damn question about every damn kinda gun, it is a "Thompson" section after all but there is a lotta room to let the Semi people ask questions and participate in.

So far MOST people seem to have posted WHY they voted the way they did and thats great, but I sure don't see enough replies to match the voting results. If you voted PLEASE chime in and say why you voted that way. A one liner would be great.

To address a couple of other points:

There should be no reason why one couldn't browse and post in both forums. A FAQ can certainly be written by our members and tacked atop a semi forum too. I really don't understand how anyone would fell like a second rate citizen if there was a semi auto forum and thats they type of Thompson they own.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

John,

Didn't you start this Shit last year too? or was that someone else? Either way I think you were involved. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif Did AF put you up to this?

I voted to keep the board as it is. There is much to be learned from both sides, and after-all we have ONE interest, and that is the Thompson smg, be it FA or SA. We all know that given our choice we would choose the FA, be it 21 or 28, or WH, but there are those who can't own because they live in a state that does not allow FA or they just don't have the money. Either way, there are way to many divided interest groups, bow hunters vs rifle hunters, black powder vs cartridge etc. If we keep adding division to our interests we will ALL become weaker in our fight to keep legalized firearms. The common thread should be the key. KEEP IT AS IS!

Keep it as one. As a new guy with a SA I'd feel that I have no need/no business going to the FA.

Having said that, I did not buy my Thompson, it was a Christmas gift from my wife. (She is a keeper.) Looking at all the FA posting has gotten my enthusiasm up to do research on Thompsons, SA and FA, and although I am happy with my SA, I would like to get one (or more) FA.

Carlos

QUOTE (John Jr @ Feb 2 2005, 01:34 AM)

Semi and Full are NOT the same thing.  Its not even in the same ballpark.  We both know that. 

I think a semi auto only forum would foster growth of the site.

Hmmmm... Are you talking price, function, rarity, or what? I submit that they are not that far off.... So if you had a question about an L Drum would you post in S/A or F/A... How about a pouch, whether it is correct for reinactment? You would have to double post many times to make sure both sides of the church can hear you... Get your piece of paper and do the Franklin test... Divide it in half and put the "yes" reasons on one side, and the "no" on the other..... I think even you will have more no's than yes's.....

"I really don't understand how anyone would fell (I hope they wouldn't fall) like a second rate citizen if there was a semi auto forum and thats they type of Thompson they own."

Speaking of second rate citizens.... would we have a Coltâ„¢ board for those that own a "real" Thomspon....

I oppose. Even if it's not meant to be elitist it will appear that way to newbies who don't know how good most of the people here are about welcoming and answering their questions.

Semi's and FA may be two differant guns but neither would exist if it were not for John T. Thompson. The love of this design and image should unite us.

The thoughts and problems that semi owners have always remind me how fortunate I am to own my FA.

Keep the boars whole, I'm on my second SA and have an out of state Uncle with the FA and I'm not allowed to move up to FA until I move or get some laws changed. The number of FA's is fixed; (I'd like to correct that oversight as well) and most of the new guys are SA and Khar is still cranking copys (bad, indiferent, or otherwise) out. Everyone want's a low numbered Colt in pristine shape or three, but we're all an overlapped mess of a group becouse of our intrest, (or obsession acording to my better half) and splitting the boards is not going to save band width, just make a bigger mess.

My.02

BB

We are all interested in Thompsons: Colt, "Irish Sword," , Auto-Ordnance, Savage, WWII, police, FBI, MI, MIAI, NAC, WH, Numrich, Pearl,1927 semi, Kahr (cough,cough,ah-hem, well maybe),etc. Let's keep it all on one board, even though the family may be slightly disfunctional! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Regards, Walter