How many transferable Owens in the US?

opherhenry

At first I read there were a few Owens in the registry and then I was told there were very few transferable Owens sub machine guns in the NFA registry. So then I see one come up for sale a year ago and it sold instantly before I saw it.

Now I came across someone that owns 4 of them. I just bought one of them and paid almost double then the last one I saw came up for sale, but it is original WW2 with green paint, etc and I'd rate it as 85%. I'm on a quest to collect all the worthwhile subguns and the Owen is one of them for sure so I splurged.

So how many are there? I probably overpaid but I'm just curious. How many are there out there and do you guys out there love them? What is current market value?

Also, any tips on spare parts or mags? My initial search came back with nada.

"not many" but no real way to know, since the registry is not searchable. I have one. I have heard of or seen a few others for sale over the years. Certainly a rare gun. No unobtanium. Perhaps Bob N. can chime in - he has tracked a lot of guns over the years. I like the gun- as a 9mm subgun it is smooth and controllable. I have found parts and mags over the years, but you have to watch for them. the one on GB was "tube" gun, transferable but not original. I have a C&R (original) gun.

Edited by MG08

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At first I read there were a few Owens in the registry and then I was told there were very few transferable Owens sub machine guns in the NFA registry. So then I see one come up for sale a year ago and it sold instantly before I saw it.

Now I came across someone that owns 4 of them. I just bought one of them and paid almost double then the last one I saw came up for sale, but it is original WW2 with green paint, etc and I'd rate it as 85%. I'm on a quest to collect all the worthwhile subguns and the Owen is one of them for sure so I splurged.

So how many are there? I probably overpaid but I'm just curious. How many are there out there and do you guys out there love them? What is current market value?

Also, any tips on spare parts or mags? My initial search came back with nada.

You never overpay...you just buy too soon.

There used to be a pile of mags in the USA and I'll see if I can remember the dealer.

You are rather stuck on the mags as the ejector is built in and I never found another mag that worked well.

I know of probably 4 and that is it.

• 3 weeks later...

I know of at least 12 C&R transferables, including a MkII trials gun, and another 4 transferable tube guns. I suspect there's probably a lot more than that out there. They're something people tend to hang onto as they're so unique.

It never ceases to amaze me what can come out of the woodwork. I'd all but given up on finding a pre or post sample Australia F1, then was amazed to see one show up at auction when Evergreen Aviation folded. A transferable to boot. Unfortunately is sold for way out of my price range at auction. But gee, who'd have thought a transferable amnesty register F1 would show up.