WH Parts Still Out There

Just wanted to give the newer guys who are getting into collecting like me a heads up that there are definitely still West Hurley parts floating around so make sure to study the difference. I ordered an advertised as original 1928 pivot pin from Gun Parts Corp/Numrich and it turned out to be a West Hurley pivot pin. I didnt really get a chance to look at it since I was away doing Air Force things but once I got back (after the return period had expired), I noticed it had a weird red hue to it and the metal seemed rough with no maker mark. It hit me rather quickly that it must be a WH pivot pin due to the color, no marking and it had a nice seam down the middle. Luckily I had an actual original pivot pin that I just happened to pick up at the SAR show last year from a junk surplus dealer to compare it to. Anyway no big issue but it is annoying when you think you are getting an advertised original GI part and its not. Major kudos to the board for having great content so I could recognize the issue pretty fast. Hopefully these pics will help show the difference for us visual learners.

0B488BCA-2EBC-40D8-8462-5AFE969EB68B.jpeg

5DC7D006-718B-4739-AECD-CF2C1BFFC4C1.jpeg

F2EAFEC5-F891-4FD1-A448-B2CE69C4D15D.jpeg

F45535B0-8B70-4FDB-85BC-6D34CD3C3273.jpeg

Edited by cbmott
  • Upvote 2

The WH part and the location of Gun Parts Inc. are likely no coincidence. Wouldn't be surprised to find that GPC ended up with the WH TSMG parts not originally used in production. It's a bit of a stretch, but this part could be thought of as being original. Original, that is, to WH M1928 production.

cbmott,

An excellent thread. Yes, there are still a bunch of AOC West Hurley parts for sale in the marketplace. For example, I have seen WH actuators mixed in with GI actuators with vendors at Knob Creek. It is a buyer beware world. I wrote the story about West Hurley parts in Small Arms Review (SAR) magazine in November 2011 not just for West Hurley owners. The story provides a lot of information as to what parts to avoid for those looking for Thompson parts. The story is available online at SAR; back paper issues are still available.

At the recent All Thompson Show & Shoot in Ohio a TATA member asked me to remove and inspect the buffer pilot in his 1928. It was a WH two-piece buffer pilot that was starting to separate. We replaced it with one of my extra Savage GI buffer pilots along with a free gift I was giving away to all show attendees. The next day after the free shoot the owner told me his WH ran flawlessly, the first time in years. All West Hurley owners need to make sure they are using a GI buffer pilot!

...and a '28 GI actuator. The cast WH actuators are junk. They frequently need a fair amount of bench work to even fit in the gun much less run properly. Once in place they tend to break at the Blish slot, it's a matter of when not if.

I agree, I doubt it’s a coincidence that Gun Parts Corp has WH parts in stock so that’s a buyer beware for anyone buying parts from them. Well a buyer beware on top of all the other WH land mines at gun shows and such.

TD, I remember that article. That is one of the first articles I ever read from Small Arms Review and it helped cage my brain on what to look for. Did you by chance grab a picture of the WH buffer pilot? I have yet to actually see one with my own eyes let alone one that was starting to fail. I have only seen what real 28 pilots look like so I guess I’m a bit spoiled that way. Putting together a few side by side comparisons of WH parts vs GI parts would actually help out a lot of new/newer members.

AOC West Hurley buffer pilots are easy to identify because they are unmarked. GI buffer pilots will have a manufacturer mark on the flange, usually on the flat part. It has been reported that Auto-Ordnance at the Bridgeport factory manufactured buffer pilots but I have only seen Savage Arms or "S" marked pilots.

Attached is a picture of a WH buffer pilot that has separated. All West Hurley owners should inspect their buffer pilots. A WH Thompson that is advertised as NIB or New In the Box problaby has this problem part. I usually have some buffer pilots for sale at the Thompson shows for this very reason. It is an inexpensive part to replace.

resize - Fig 2 Buffer Pilot seperated.jpg

• Upvote 1

TD That is a great picture of the train wreck that is West Hurley buffer pilots. Luckily my WH had mostly GI internals when I got it but I think anyone looking at this post in the future will appreciate the visual. Thanks!