I bought an Ithaca M3A1 - Ammo? Springs?

I ended up finding an Ithaca M3A1 for the right price in just a couple days, and went ahead and bought. I was holding out for a Guide Lamp, but this gun was the right price, and I like that it has a worn finish, but has NOT been refinished.

Anyways, two questions

1. What is the best factory ammo to run in this gun? I want to run what others do with good luck, and it's always a good time to stock up. I do not reload, and just want to buy what is recommended. I was told by the seller that hot ammo with hard primers is good. Typical of older open bolt subguns I've noticed.

2. What springs should I put in the gun? I keep hearing people talk about springs with these guns, so I want to be sure to put in a nice new spring, and also grab some spares.

Thank you!

Any 45acp ammunition should work. I have shot the full gambit in my Guide Lamp M3.

Recoil springs can sometimes be hard to find but there was someone at Knob Creek last year who came into a pile of them. I'll be down there in April, I can keep an eye out.

Spare bolt assembly (bolt, guide rods, front plate, clip, and recoil springs) sear, barrel, magazines, and really that's about it as far as general parts.

I have had my M3A1 since 1993, I don't shoot it all that much, but I broke 1 extractor.

Of course, that was after I shot the SVD Thompson...everything I shot broke after that, even my dishwasher : - )

As far as ammo it will eat just about anything, be aware that WWII surplus is corrosive.

Make sure when removing the barrel you hold the locking spring down, or it will wear out pretty fast.

Here's pictures of the gun. It is a pre may which is exactly what i wanted. The seller sold it and a pre May MP40 on gun broker, but unfortunately the buyer backed out. The seller and I talked, and he dropped the price to a very fair amount for both guns as a package, so I took it. Very happy. Both guns have used looking finishes, but I hate hate hate refinished guns, and have always thought a worn finish in a gun that runs really well is super cool. Also, then I can just lay it around and enjoy using it. Anyways, here she is! Thanks for the advice and always looking for more!

post-258913-0-53039100-1521459592_thumb.png

post-258913-0-69523300-1521459611_thumb.png

post-258913-0-15567000-1521459654_thumb.png

Very nice! I'm with you. I'll take a well worn original finish gun over a mint looking refinished gun any day. The worn original finish is part of the gun's history/ story. Todd in Oregon

Edited by taeelec

Looks great, congrats.

Mine works fine with any ammo I have tried, but I have had several well-dented Magtech rounds fail to fire.

Each bad round was given a second chance in a different gun and still failed to fire.

Here's pictures of the gun. It is a pre may which is exactly what i wanted. The seller sold it and a pre May MP40 on gun broker, but unfortunately the buyer backed out. The seller and I talked, and he dropped the price to a very fair amount for both guns as a package, so I took it. Very happy. Both guns have used looking finishes, but I hate hate hate refinished guns, and have always thought a worn finish in a gun that runs really well is super cool. Also, then I can just lay it around and enjoy using it. Anyways, here she is! Thanks for the advice and always looking for more!

Looks good. One of your videos shooting them would be nice to see.

• 3 weeks later...
My M3 eats any ammo. The grease gun doesn't have a feed ramp so it even fires SWC but I still run 230 grain lead mostly for cost reasons and I can't imagine wearing out a barrel shooting lead. I have never broken a thing on a grease gun. There is a special tool for the grease to remove the extractor for cleaning. I do this once a year as it can get fouled up.