Doug Richardson Update

Many people have been asking me when I will get back into Thompson production again. Unfortunately that has been in the hands of my eye doctors who told me that I would be seeing well six months ago and it did not happen. I still have one more eye operation to go which they claim will clear up some blurriness I have. However, the good news is that throughout Jan. my vision had improved to the point where I was able to get back in the shop and start making things. I now have some items back in stock and many more partially done. I am in Belize now through Mar. When I return, I intend to resume receiver production. Thanks for your patience and all the support that has been given me.

Doug

Best of luck Doug, enjoy your time in the DEEP South!

I hear you loud an clear on the recovery issue, I had surgery 3 weeks ago on my left leg, 17 incisions! I hope to be fully back on my feet come shooting season.

Jack

Doug,

Great to hear you are coming around.

As you may have read, you and your products are very much missed!

Good luck!

Doug, get well soon! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif I, and many others, will probably need your services, in the not too distant future! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Regards, Walter

Doug - Thanks for all your help with determing the pedigree of the barrel on my 21AC. When you get home, I'll camp on your doorstep until you make a replacement 21 barrel for me! ;-)

FWIW, gang, Doug helped me figger out why Colt 21AC #6086 has a thicker-finned barrel with a Type I Cutt's comp. We're guessing that sometime in the mid 1930's the original barrel was removed and the comp installed on a factory replacement barrel. Could have been done locally but probable that it went to New York for service. The major relief was Doug's confirmation that the barrel is a correct factory replacement for the period, and not a Savage or WH. - Whew!-

Tom Mayer

Great Doug, for the good fortune in your recovery. Did the eye doctor tell you to eat lots of carrots, so you can handle all the back orders we're waiting for ? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

More importantly, have you found an apprentice to teach all that you know ? It's hard to imagine you applying the skill that you have, in a state where freedom is restricted. Freedom friendly states in this easterly direction, has got to be more attractive, no?.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif ..............by Ft.Knox,Ky...jw

Tom,

I have seen the thicker fins with a 1st pattern Cutts on another Colt TSMG #8061. It is strange that these fins are way thicker than those on the barrels of TSMG's with 2nd pattern Cutts and serial numbers in the late 14,000's, that presumably were not sold until the mid 1930's. Since all 15,000 Colt's were originaly 1921 A's, and only modified when an order came in for a Thompson with a Cutts Comp, or a gun was sent back to have a Cutts put on, the barrel was removed and then a Cutts was fitted on it. Why would there exist these much thicker finned Colt barrels of unknown manufacture date, that only seem to appear on guns sent back with defective barrels? This gun also managed to have the witness mark line up perfectly, which again is odd considering the barrel change.

It seems odd that the Powell County Sheriff 's Department managed to shoot their TSMG #6086 to the point it needed a barrel replacement. Also, Herigstad records the initial ownership of #6086 different from Cox and Hill. They have the Montana State Prison at Deer Lodge, Montana as the first owners. The prison already had 5 Colt TSMG's and yet the armorer decided in 1975 to trade an AR-15 and two .357's to get a 6th TSMG, (that had a lot of work done on it apparently), from the Powell Sheriff? Did the prison armorer have the sole discretion to deal on state owned weapons?