Magazine Anvil?

In the thread about Type XX mags, a reference was made to an anvil for reconfiguring the lips of magazines to the correct position for feeding. That sounds like a good idea, especially since "nice" mags are getting harder to find. Where would I find one of these anvils and exactly how is it used?

The anvil can be ordered from Glenn Whittenberger who has offered spring kits on this site.

You remove the base plate - place the tool in a vise and the mag without the base plate or spring over the tool and using a brass or plastic hammer tap the lips down on to the anvil which will make the lips take the correct shape. I find it works - mags which had feed problems are corrected.

I purchased several dated mags in the last month and found the lips were out of spec on all of them. Corrected with the anvil. Worth the money.

LSU,

Contact Glenn Whittenberger for the mag anvils. He is the only one I have seen selling them in the past. He did a recent post for his repro M1/28 recoil springs, so send him an Email.

You use it by first removing the mag floorplate, spring and follower. The anvil has the precise feed lip separation and radius. You place the body over the anvil and peen the feed lips to conform to the profile of the anvil.

Hope this helps.

Roger