German WW2 Helmets

Dose anyone know of any decent books they can recommend on German Helmets.

I just bought one on Gunbroker, an would like to find out more about them.

Anyone,s Input would be Appreciated.

Thank Youpost-257838-0-69704500-1583292853_thumb.pngpost-257838-0-53599800-1583292921_thumb.png

Edited by Govostes

Wehrmacht Combat helmets 1933-45 by Brian C. Bell, Osprey Publishing, 2004. Brian is a noted expert.

Your single decal model 1940 helmet was manufactured by the contractor Eisenhuttenwerke (ET code), and the helmet shell size is 64 cm. Sizes went up to 66 cm. The decal is a Luftwaffe eagle. Nice find!

Edited by TSMGguy

Thank you for your Input.

Would this pic, be the Helmet serial Number.

Is there any way of finding out ,when it was Made.

I Paid $600, I,m not sure if thats alittle High or reasonable.

I was a bit more concerned about it being all original, witch I feel /Hope it is.post-257838-0-96573600-1583376394_thumb.png

The code looks original. Would have to dig my reference book out to say what it means, but it's probably a batch code of some kind.

$600 is not out of the ball park these days. A nice original "Normandy" painted example can bring thousands. It'll all depend on condition, rarity, and originality. Yours looks like the original finish to me.

The next thing to look at is the presence and condition of the original suspension and hardware. German chin strap makers often stamped the pointed end of the strap with maker information and year. Later in the war, this might be just an RBN number, or no stamp at all. There was often a size stamp on the leather suspension, in centimeters.

Batch inspections took place on some shells and this is denoted by a oval stamp on the inside dome of the helmet. Not all helmets were so inspected, but the presence of the stamp means that the shell has not been over painted if the interior and exterior paint match.

• 6 months later...