Stop Alberto Gonzales

From WorldNetDaily.Com

Stop Alberto Gonzales

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: January 21, 2005

1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

This may be a first.

I, Joseph Farah, am joining with an informal coalition that includes the Communist Party USA, People for the American Way and the Mexican American Legal Defense Fund to block confirmation of the Alberto Gonzales as attorney general.

Granted, my reasons for opposing this guy are a bit different that the groups named above. But I agree with them that he must be stopped.

I never had much use for Gonzales, but the last straw came this week when he told the U.S. Senate he supports extending the expired federal assault weapons ban.

First of all, let me speak plainly: There is no such thing as an "assault weapon." The guns included in this ban, and previous misguided legislation passed by federal and state governments, are not automatics. They are not machine-guns. They fire one round at a time, like hundreds of other firearms that people use to hunt deer, shoot skeet or simply to protect themselves and their families from those who would take their lives, their liberty or their property.

I have challenged my colleagues in the press – time and time again – to define the term "assault weapon." They can't do it. There is no definition. They are firearms defined not by what they do, but by how they look – scary. Nevertheless, the press continues this subterfuge. It is disinformation and propaganda that is leading to the erosion of our inherent rights as Americans and our ability to preserve those rights.

What is an "assault weapon"?

I can define it for you: It's any weapon that looks mean. It's any weapon government officials want to take away from you. Taking them is the first step toward disarming all U.S. citizens in direct defiance of the U.S. Constitution.

Let's be clear on something: The Founding Fathers didn't write the Second Amendment to protect deer hunters or skeet shooters.

Deer hunting was not on the minds of the framers of our Constitution. They understood that without arms the people would be no match for the kind of powerful government we have in Washington, D.C., today.

So often, the gun grabbers portray themselves as crime fighters. Nothing could be further from the truth. Even in a representative republic, when civil order breaks down, as it inevitably does, law-abiding citizens are not safe without adequate firepower. The image of Korean store owners perched on top of their businesses during the L.A. riots is indelible proof of that simple fact.

Just a generation ago, nearly every politician in America understood the purpose of the Second Amendment and defended it vigorously.

The late Hubert H. Humphrey, a man who defined liberal Democratic politics in the mid-1960s had this to say on the subject: "Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of the citizens to keep and bear arms. This is not to say that firearms should not be carefully used and that definite safety rules of precaution should not be taught and enforced. But the right of the citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against a tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible."

Today, even so-called "constitutional scholars" like Gonzales – President Bush's nominee for attorney general of the United States, the highest law-enforcement position in the country – don't get it.

Or maybe he does. Maybe he just doesn't care. Maybe he's one of those lawyers who will twist and bend the Constitution to support his own political agenda. And maybe that political agenda is opposition to firearms in the hands of law-abiding Americans.

The gun grabbers understand they can't win the debate today by revealing their true intentions – taking all firearms away from law-abiding citizens as they have in some cities in America. So they wage their war on guns incrementally – banning classifications of weapons, dividing and conquering the opposition and softening up the people on the idea that the government has a legitimate power to ban guns.

Humphrey was right. So were the Founding Fathers. Tyranny is always possible. In fact, without a vigilant, armed civilian populace, it is inevitable.

There's only one ultimate defense against the imposition of tyranny here – 300 million well-armed Americans.

So, count me in opposition to Gonzales – along with the Communists, People for the American Way and MALDEF.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELATED OFFER:

Are you ready for the Second American Revolution? Joseph Farah's book, "Taking America Back," exposes the weaknesses in America's current system and offers practical solutions that are real and doable – solutions that can revive freedom, morality and justice in our nation. Order your copy now in WorldNetDaily's online store, ShopNetDaily!