28 replies to this topic

#21 StrangeRanger

StrangeRanger

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:"Easy money, faithless women, red-eye whiskey for the pain"

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:55 PM

I'm currently in the process of selling a Remington XP-100 (.223 single-shot, bolt-action, varmint-hunting pistol with a 15" barrel, if you aren't familiar) hardly a Saturday Night Special  to a guy in Cali.  The hoops that the CA DOJ makes people jump through are ...um...insane.  I don't know how you people put up with it.

Edited by StrangeRanger, 17 June 2020 - 07:56 PM.

#22 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 948 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:04 PM

Yea but a GAU-8 makes an MG42 look like a pop gun, it’s all perspective and interest. I do think Tom Hanks stopped the whole German army with a 1911 at the end of Saving Private Ryan

I forgot about that......and he beat the Corona this year too!

The problem with the GAU is you need certification on the plane, pilot's license and the doggone annual physical.   We are thinking about getting a Huey though and we will have a pilot on the cheap.  There are a few guys in the area with cheap jets, but the maintenance and fuel more than offset the price.  Aviation is a cool hobby that I just don't have the time for.  Guns are great because they are not needy and if you run out of time you can shove them in a corner for years without any costs or worries. 

Anjong-ni  I know a fella that has several MG's in CA.   It's not easy, but it is possible.  He explained the details, but I don't recall them.  He's not short on resources so I'm sure that helps?

#23 MrBill

MrBill

• Board Donor
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Old Motorcycles, Sharpes Rifles , Thompson Machine Guns

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:38 PM

Form 4 registered machine guns in California? I am sure there are probably a few,but my late friend Gordon Herigstad (who had a lot of friends on this forum) lived in San Pedro. His Thompson s stayed in Oregon. Gordon was a very smart individual which leads me to believe that is almost impossible to own a machine gun in California.  

#24 maxfaxdude

maxfaxdude

• Regular Group
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:All stuff NFA

Posted 19 June 2020 - 10:37 PM

Form 4 registered machine guns in California? I am sure there are probably a few,but my late friend Gordon Herigstad (who had a lot of friends on this forum) lived in San Pedro. His Thompson s stayed in Oregon. Gordon was a very smart individual which leads me to believe that is almost impossible to own a machine gun in California.  

Cal DOJ very rarely approves machinegun transfers to private individuals unless you are in the movie gun rental business or an SOT. 

Edited by maxfaxdude, 19 June 2020 - 10:38 PM.

#25 pitfighter

pitfighter

• Regular Group
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:03 PM

maxfaxdude, on 19 Jun 2020 - 20:44, said:

MrBill, on 19 Jun 2020 - 10:45, said:

Cal DOJ very rarely approves machinegun transfers to private individuals unless you are in the movie gun rental business or an SOT.

CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit - is what you need to provide firearms for motion pictures in CA.
There are a number of tabs on the permit. Machine gun and machine-gun manufacturer are the two that would pertain to Full auto.
SBR, DD are other tabs.
It is a discretionary issue, and requires the location of storage, your transport vehicle and other things being inspected, it is about $360 per year.
It is a yearly issue, and can be slow to renew, leaving you with registered and located firearms and an out of date permit if you're not careful.
Each "pertaining" firearm gets it's own $100 fee, too.
It is a (somewhat) stressful permit to renew, maintain and apply for.
Wisest left to a reputable CA Firearms Lawyer to maintain - approx $1000 per execution.

The above CA DOJ DWP is a VERY different permit to the CA DOJ Entertainment Weapons Permit, which the permit ALL prop-masters touching firearms must have.
The CA DOJ EFP simply allows you to rent and transport Non-NFA firearms which are not registered in your name.

To buy firearms with your C+R FFL here you need a CA DOJ Certificate of Eligibility.
The CA DOJ COE is not really useful as a prop master, but wise to have, in case you need to buy and not rent.

So rounding up.
To do motion pictures firearms work in CA:
(All yearly renewal, all require separate live scan and fee.)
CA DOJ DWP
CA DOJ EFP
CA DOJ COE
Also useful to keep a C+R FFL 03 - looks good in the permit folder. (three year renewal and fee and live scan.)
But remember the FFL 03 is absolutely not permitted for business use, so using it for entertainment work is a gray area.

Or, you can FFL 07 and SOT - but many cities and areas simply will not issue an FFL (above .03 C+R.)
I know of a few collectors (count on one hand) who acquired FFL's in the 80's and 80's and have managed to maintain them, but this is a select few.

Really simple, really :)

It's not that small a group, similar to Section 5 FAC holders in the UK. It doesn't pay to advertise and is unwise.

Edited by pitfighter, 26 June 2020 - 10:33 AM.

#26 cbmott

cbmott

• Board Donor
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Not being in New Mexico

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:01 AM

...and my wife wonders why I stare in hatred at any Prius with California license plates moving into Vegas and screwing up my state.

There are a few more requirements for California as well

-California annual snowflake tax of $1200, payable only in person from 9-9:01 AM on alternating Tuesday’s of months that have 31 days

-social justice tax: 15,000 Chinese Yuan per year because California is basically communist anyway so why not just use communist money 

Other licenses and taxes include:

-license to get a license: self explanatory...you need to be licensed to get a license

-safe storage of underwear license: submit to a bi-annual inspection to make sure your underwear are properly folded and put away

-scary gun tax: tax on guns that look scary...they are all taxed

-submit to an annual psych evaluation where you are questioned about why you like firearms instead of just having an Etsy shop like everyone else

-you need to own a Prius

#27 StrangeRanger

StrangeRanger

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:"Easy money, faithless women, red-eye whiskey for the pain"

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:22 AM

You think that we think that you think you're joking :rolleyes:

#28 cbmott

cbmott

• Board Donor
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Not being in New Mexico

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:49 AM

That’s pretty close to what California thinks. Much like their voluntary taxes on top of regular taxes.

Edited by cbmott, 26 June 2020 - 09:49 AM.

#29 pitfighter

pitfighter

• Regular Group
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:08 AM

...and my wife wonders why I stare in hatred at any Prius with California license plates moving into Vegas and screwing up my state.

I avoid Prius cars as I ride a motorcycle, and those drivers are usually distracted and will straight-up end your life with a sudden right-turn to pick up their pineapple vape oil.