Navy 28 overstamp, need professional adivice/opinions

Turnbull quoted me $3600 off the top of my head for a Colt SAA revolver restoration. I would guess he would charge $15-20,000 for a finish restoration on a Colt Thompson based on the size and amount of surface area. That doesn't even account to rollmarkings. Turnbull already has dies to replace to rollmarkings on revolvers and lever actions, add another $10,000 to have Thompson dies made. A museum isn't going to spend a quarter of a million dollars to restore a dozen Thompsons that are most likely on a Form 10 if they are even registered to the museum at all.

• 1 year later...

Clean them and leave as is in 50 years. those left around won't know what a Thompson is or can care less about them. We are the last of the greatest. don't fool yourself thinking in 50 years anybody will be around who cares.And will be just another BAD GUN no matter who owned it from the past. That is just the real truth. And pleeze to 22 year old who might like them now that is only one out of millions and they won't hold it together at 72 by that time.

There is a time in Life you have to admit we rode the trail hard.And it does end.

There is no good guy Thompson guys being born.

SAD darn right. but we will be soon at that point.

RON

post-504-0-51248500-1581745334_thumb.jpg

Edited by colt21a

If you must see the serial number, and can remove the two screws holding the buttstock to the metal, do that first.

Pulling on the wood to attempt removal could very likely give you a two piece buttstock.

If the screws and stock latch won't budge, work on getting them loosened.

I would hold the gun upside down, rear sight slightly tilted towards you.

Then dribble some penetrating oil into the stock latch area, and place it horizontal, upside down, on a bench.

This will allow the oil to work on the metal only, and minimize it migrating into the wood.

Even if this doesn't loosen the screws, it might loosen the stock latch enough to be depressed, and the assembly tapped back off the frame.

Use a narrow wood or delrin block to tap against the front edge of the stock metal, without striking the wood.

This also might not work, but is worth trying several times before anything else.

If all else fails, I'd leave it exactly as is and hang it back up for display.

For less than the cost of a total restoration, the museum could get an exact Philly Ord reproduction made,

put Deerslayer wood on it, and display them side by side. "Before and after".

Edited by mnshooter