Buying A Thompson/or Garand

How can I buy a Garand or Thompson for my father without him knowing. I'm only 18 so http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif . I dont want him to know before his B-day.

Is there a way for me to buy it and just let him do the paperwork on his B-day?

Legal age for purchase of a rifle (which a Garand or semi Thompson would classify as) is 18 years old.

Purchasing as a gift is fine and allowed under federal law and that of most states. You of course have to be able to pass a background check when puchasing and picking up the firearm.

Not a lawyer so don't take my comments as more than my opinion.

GP

Yep! GonePostal is correct on this (BTW,GP, welcome to these boards! You might recognize me as "postal" from Subguns.com! Good to see some others joining up here!)

At any rate, 18 is legal age for a long gun. You will need to do the background check and fill out a form 4473. NOW when you fill out the 4473, there are questions asking if you are buying for yourself OR someone else. There are two ways to handle this.

First, tell the dealer the gun will be a gift to your father and ask him/her how they want you to fill the form out. Some dealers won't sell in this case even though it is legal for you to buy a gun as a gift to a family member. The dealer may just tell you to answer that question as if the gun is for your own use, which it is (your legit use is as a gift for your father).

OR, you could just go about buying the gun as if you intend to keep it for yourself. Later, after the sale has taken place, you decide it would make a nice gift for your dad. This way eliminates the chance that you find a nice gun and can't buy it due to a dealer who doesn't know the law.

Your choice here.

The reason this is a pissing point in the law is to eliminate "straw man" purchases (where someone buys for someone who can't)and this is VERBOTEN BIG TIME. Don't even think of doing this. Prison time, guaranteed.

I'd personally recommend option 2....will eliminate any possibility of a hassle and you are still within the law.

Tman, anything you could add to this??

john

Full auto Thompson or semi??? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif Of course you know that you couldn't buy him the full auto.

I would recommend buying a Garand via CMP. It will be cheaper and probably more reliable than the semi-Thompsons.

Plus, the Garands are probably from his time and he would appreciate it more. (Just my 2 cents.)

If your intention is to give the gun as a gift, you are the “actual buyer”. You may dispose of your personal property as you like, including giving it away.

If you accept $$ from someone else to pay for the gun and do the paper work, you are not the actual buyer and you are in trouble.

QUOTE (JimFromFL @ Jan 10 2004, 06:28 PM)
Full auto Thompson or semi??? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif Of course you know that you couldn't buy him the full auto.

I would recommend buying a Garand via CMP. It will be cheaper and probably more reliable than the semi-Thompsons.

Plus, the Garands are probably from his time and he would appreciate it more. (Just my 2 cents.)

Yea, The garand...

He scored expert with the Garand\Carbine\Colt 45 and that gun just before the m16...looked like a garand with a mag...

all well, Thanks for the info guys. This will give me some "ammo" when I go to a dealer. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

M1 Thumb,

That gun just before the M-16 was the M-14, now known as the M1A in semi-auto guise. They weren't around long compared to the others you mentioned.

Ya'll are correct in stating what the law reads. I would go with buying it and giving it later as a gift. As I've stated in other posts, enforcement of the laws boils down to the persons intent. BTW, a decent, used M1 rifle will run you more than a brand new Kahr Thompson. And the M1 Garand will still work!!!