Help With A Semi Auto

I have a Auto Ordance M1 Semi-auto Thompson. I have the Class II tax stamp from the ATF. I need a 10.5 inch barrel. Where is the best place to get one? The AO ones are $175. Gun Parts Corp has them for $98. Which is the best deal? I heard that the GI barrels don't work very well in the new semi-autos. Also, the stock does not have a oiler hole or a trapdoor in the butt plate. Where is the best place to get one that will fit on the semi-auto stock? Did earlier AO semi-autos have trapdoor butt plates? On that note, where is a good place to get a oiler?

Is there anything else I need to do to make my semi-auto appear to be a M1A1?

Thanks for any input,

TC

I've heard that some of the chambers on the Gunparts barrels are out of spec. The thread on the F/A and semi auto's are identical or were with the WH guns, no promises about Khar, you should not have a real problem. PK is the person I would ask about where to find something that works 100% with a minum of fuss.

I got my oiler from Northridge gun parts, I know Sarco also had them. I prefer the 28 style as I have more control than with the M1 style oiler.

BB

Welcome Trooper.

As BB stated, the Gunparts bbls may be a bit out of spec (tight chambers) but this is nothing a competent smith cannot fix. I suggest, too, you contact PK here on the board. Send the whole gun to him and he can likely get a bbl for it through his sources, plus spec the whole thing out for you.

What does the trooper mean?

The barrel threads are the same on all A/O Thompsons. Of the three readily available products, the GI barrels are the hardest steel and best quality. The Kahr is next hardest, but I have seen anomalies like tight spots in bores and broken edges on fins where they shouldn’t be (not applicable to M1). The NAC barrels are the softest and often have tight chambers, but are true to from and if a professional is setting it up (strongly recommended), he will check & re-cut the chamber if needed. These are not so soft as to be a problem in the life of a semi.

A GI M1 stock assembly will replace the new production stock found on the Kahr M1 directly.

There are many things that can be done to make a new Kahr mimic a WWII M1, it just depends on your budget. Obtaining an approved form 1 for an SBR (apparently you already have) is the first. Finishing the details of the corner radius of the receiver and adding a pivot style bolt lock would make this gun indistinguishable for the real thing without a good inspection.

PK,

The info about the barrels is very enlightening. I was going to purchase a barrel from Numrich, but now I am not sure. I am still waiting for the paperwork to get here from the BATF to fill out, so I have a good amount of time before I can "legaly" purchase a short barrel. If a GI will fit, will the finish be different, and how hard is this to correct. As for the other modifications to mimic a FA, approximately what would the cost be to get this done. Would this include a dummy selector switch? How long would all this take, and if installing a short barrel what paperwork would need to be included. Thanks.

Scott

In order to get the Colors to match, all one would have to do is reblue said gun. No need for a "Dummy" Rocker Pivot, as PK can modify it for a Bolt Hold Open Switch. Do a search on the Old Thompson Message Board for Project "X".

As in most things the devil’s in the details. If you want a full blown GI type conversion, expect to pay a few hundred dollars. The only way to insure compatible finish is to do the whole gun. This is advised anyway because the finish of the commercial guns is not the same as that of the military models.

Don’t be worried about the NAC barrel. If you are going to refinish anyway it is your best buy.

In order to do an SBR you need to submit a form 1 and it will take about 4 months to process.

Thanks PK,

As of right now, I am waiting on the forms to get here from the BATF so I can get them filled out. I thought they would get here sooner, but they are not. I was wondering if you could break down every thing you do to make a GI type conversion and its approximate costs. If this is too much trouble, do not bother. I just want to get an idea of what I would be looking at, and its costs. If it is easier to email me with this info that would be ok. Thanks for the info so far.

Scott