What Happened to all the Thompsons After WW2?

• 8 months later...

Going back to the original question of this post "What Happened to all the Thompsons After WW2?", I was reading through the Guns.Ru website the other day, which has a lot of references to the Soviet use of Thompson guns.

The subject under discussion was lack of availability of Thompson SMGs for collectors in Russia, despite the huge amount of Thompsons that entered the civilian markets in Europe and USA, (parts kits and deactivations), from the stocks of lend-lease weapons that were stored in the Ukraine.

A reply in the thread, posted in November 2018, reads:

“and by the way, for those who cry about the fact that there will be no more Thompson from the balacle. I’ll tell you in secret that there are a lot of them in the warehouses of Belarus”.

This was translated from Russian by Google Chrome, and the word 'balacle' does not make any sense to me, but the 'secret', if true, may be of interest.

Stay safe

Richard

There is a ton still around of that cache of 100 round drums that went to Russia, I was offered the batch i said get them to Switzerland and something could be worked out soon. {Country of export and origin thing} at that time. It never worked out. they had been packed and stacked. it was a few hundred.I told the main guy 100 grand would be about Fair, they said nope a few hundred grand was more like it due to the Crazy American Thompson collector paying thousands for just one. this was about ten years ago.

Yeah been around the block on may deals And they are not all advertised in Shotgun news, or gun list.or a basement dudes video combat forum.

Sad case since there was a bunch in Malta, and in Greece territory warehouse.And of course that stash found in Libya of German and American firearms and a few other places. The coolest was a rack of 24 unissued late war K-98's in a police station In Germany. Take one if you like however it is you're problem to get it back to the states.

Asking why you still have them? In case of a emergency. I bet they are using them now.

A 1,000 tales of a 1,000 deals are out there, Just to locate them all. And get it done.RON

There is a ton still around of that cache of 100 round drums that went to Russia, I was offered the batch i said get them to Switzerland and something could be worked out soon. {Country of export and origin thing} at that time. It never worked out. they had been packed and stacked. it was a few hundred.I told the main guy 100 grand would be about Fair, they said nope a few hundred grand was more like it due to the Crazy American Thompson collector paying thousands for just one. this was about ten years ago.

Yeah been around the block on may deals And they are not all advertised in Shotgun news, or gun list.or a basement dudes video combat forum.

Sad case since there was a bunch in Malta, and in Greece territory warehouse.And of course that stash found in Libya of German and American firearms and a few other places. The coolest was a rack of 24 unissued late war K-98's in a police station In Germany. Take one if you like however it is you're problem to get it back to the states.

Asking why you still have them? In case of a emergency. I bet they are using them now.

A 1,000 tales of a 1,000 deals are out there, Just to locate them all. And get it done.RON

Ron,

The first time I fired a TSMG, was when I was serving in Chad in the 1980's. At that time in Faya-Largeau, our most northerly base in Chad, and closest to Libya, you cold find every type of weapon imaginable, including many from WW2 both allied and axis weapons. First time I saw an MP 44 was in Faya, but never got the chance to fire that one.

The only souvenirs I have from that time, are my Médaille d'Outre-Mer & Croix du Combattant.

Medal Sleeve.jpg Medals.jpg

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps

Richard glad you made it home and alive and in one piece thanks for that picture.Many did not make out out of Libya area from 1942

from thru today. Yet the firearms have survived. good History there.thanks for that.Ron