Larry Wack passed away Jan 14, 2019 Faded Glory: Dusty Roads

Gents, Just stumbled onto this very sad news. A close friend and confidant of Sandy Jones, another great researcher and website owner has passed on. (If this has already been posted I missed it.)

He was the author and caretaker of the site "FADED GLORY: DUSTY ROADS Of AN FBI ERA

http://historicalgmen.squarespace.com/

This is on his website which is still up and being maintained by his family. Quoted for information only from his Website:

"Larry Wack passed away on January 14, 2019, after a long battle with cancer. This website will be kept online for the foreseeable future by his surviving family in memory of all of the research and dedication that he put into preserving the FBI history. There are no alterations/additions planned at this time.

He moved from Orchard Park, NY to Danville, KY 3 years ago.

Website owner/editor, retired FBI Special Agent Larry Wack, spent over 30 years in the FBI. During the years of 1968 to 1972 he worked in Director J. E. Hoover's FBI in Washington, D.C. as a support employee while attending college at night. A majority of those years were spent in the Civil Rights Section of the General Investigative Division. After Director Hoover died in May, 1972, Mr. Wack continued working at FBI Headquarters until 1975. In 1975, being a graduate of American University in Washington, D. C., he became a Special Agent of the FBI. After graduating the FBI Academy, he was assigned to the NYC Office's bombing investigations squad, later becoming a member of the Bureau's original Terrorist Task Force. During that time he was intimately involved in the Bureau's major terrorism cases of the era. After only a few years out of the Academy, he was the recipient of the Attorney General's Award For Excellence In Law Enforcement. In 1990, he was transferred to the Buffalo, N.Y. Office. There he assisted with the original set-up and became the Coordinator of the Fugitive/Gang Task Force, in addition to having his own caseload. He retired from the FBI in 2003.

Until recently, he spent a lot of time with hobbies of fly fishing and his 1966 Chevy "muscle car. '“ Going to Cruise Nites" and re-visiting those wonderful days of music by Buddy Holly and others of that era.

Comments and opinions of the site owner do not necessarily reflect those of other current /former or retired Special Agents nor other law enforcement entities. The site editor/owner is not a spokesman for the FBI or any related Societies."

Rest in peace Larry, you will be greatly missed. Give Sandy our regards!!

Till Valhalla,

Sandman1957

A severe blow to the historians / gate keepers of the past.

RIP Larry,

Darryl

Sorry to hear this. I was meaning to contact him some time ago regarding information on Dillinger, looks like I waited too long.

MH

Another sad loss...

David

We are losing oldsters seriously fast recently David

I see it at shows

Last one we set up at the number of old timers was seriously down

Was told most of the absent had passed over the six months since the last show we were set up at

It was bad here this winter

like close to a dozen miserable old farts vanished between last June and Christmas

mostly here it's old Vets in their 80s but it's noticeable and dramatic in the effect

ending of an era I fear

RIP

Been gone for awhile. More sad news. RIP.

Mr. Wack was an amazing man. He was always quick to answer any questions I had, and engage me in discussions regarding the FBI of old. He has left very big shoes to fill, in terms of collecting and sharing old documentation and photographs, and I don't know if there is anybody left to fill those shoes. He will be missed tremendously, but the service that he has done to his country and to law enforcement historians will never be forgotten.