Wolf In A '27?

i thought this had been gone over before(several times even), yet a few searchs turned up little.

i know it's dirty.

it gets cleaned after every outing any way, reguardless of ammo brand name. unless i'm out with friends, i normally only put 100 or rds through it during an outing.

i'm more concerned with thoughts on extractor and firing pin issues.

i know 45auto was steel cased during the war.

should work then eh?

the stuff is just so cheap, i have to atleast give it a thought

It works, its accurate, and much cleaner than Winchester.

I borke an extractor on it. Even though steel comes in various hardnesses, it is still harder than brass.

I have no plans on using it again.

Sure extractors are cheap. For Now! $10.00 ea.

But I wonder what it will cost to have a smith take a piece of steel and make one once the surplus is gone?

Just my .02

Brian,

No I can't say that for certain. I base my findings on 1 event with my gun, and on the testimony of others. However similar breaks have occurred with other arms.

It would be nice if the Thompson extractor pivoted and didn't rely on spring tension.

Perhaps another case of Wolf should be tested.

Personally, I don't like Wolf. I too had broken an Extractor using it, and I know many 1911 Shooters who have replaced Ejectors/Extractors when Wolf Ammunition was utilized. I prefer Brass myself. Hell, I don't even use Steel Cased Ammo in my AK's! Have heard many bad things with AR Shooters who have used Wolf. However, some here use it regularly, and it works for them. Others, like myself didn't have good experiences, thus our decision not to use that crap ever again. That all being said, much of this, if not all of it, was recently discussed in length. JMHO FWIW

Friend uses Wolf in his posty M1 and '28A1 .... with no issues yet.

One option, is to figure your cost savings over the next couple years using Wolf, compare the cost to a new extractor and a possible a bolt assembly .... then use Wold with the "extra" bolt assemblyl.

...... however, I have been using brass case ammo in mine.

Edited by JTinIN

Dumb question:

Same extractor for a 28' will work in a westy 27A1 semi?

Tanks,

Z

Zamm,

Yes...will work.

Big Daddy,

Jeeeze! Would want to be the poor guy that pulled the trigger on that one! Did the shooter get hurt? Looks almost impossible to have escaped injury. I have never seen Federal Premium do that before...heard about it happening with wolf some but not federal. That sucks!

Damon http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

QUOTE (TommyGunner @ Mar 13 2005, 01:01 PM)
big pic here

Nuff said,

Damon

IIRC that was caused by a squib, followed by 5 or 6 more shots?

IF that is case, that would have been just as much the shooters fault as the ammo.

never, had one(yet) but i would think that one would be able to tell between a squib and a "normal" round going off, with that said i would also think that one ahould be able to tell(feel) the following rds coming to screaming halt in the barrel.

a 230 grn rd coming to a halt like that should create some sort of felt *recoil* like forward feeling.

Maybe...using Wolf in a semi would not pose the same problems in fullautos that I`ve have encountered with my own MGs...the belt fed 34 was designed for steel case and runs good with it....the MKII STen broke 5 bolts which are quite massive compared to the rest of the firearm...the UZI had the top cover blown off..had to reshape to reinstall...I don`t want my 21 and 28s and Reising looking like the above pics,so I`ll stick to brass for the MGs that were designed for it...and burn up the Wolf in the 34,42 and the MP40...not very scientific,but the downtime at the range is a killer....try reloading...then you know it`s right!!!.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif