Approx Value Of Original Sweatnam Fbi Case?

I have located an original Sweatnam FBI case for the Thompson; I'd love to be able to pick it up, as long as my Bridgeport '28 doesn't mind being in a case that's supposed to house a Colt! Anyway, the case is in very good condition with all the leather corners intact, no broken latches, etc. The owner says he has no idea what it's worth, he says he knows they are expensive.......I have no idea what he means by expensive, but I'd sure like to have it. What is the approx. value on these at the present time? Has anyone seen any change hands recently? I don't mind paying the going rate for one of these, but I don't want to get ripped off either, so I hope one of you guys can offer me some advice. Thanks in advance!

I bought one recently from the US. It was a Sweatnam. The price was $1200 and it was a special deal. Mine is in great condidtion. I was very

pleased to get it at that price. There is a photo of it on the next page of the main forum under the heading of Birthday Presents. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Regards

Murray

P.S Has it got any extras with it? Not a spare parts kit by chance. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

Murry - is there anytype of label on the case - if not how can a person tell it is a Sweatnam case? If there is a label I would be interested in see a photo of the label or marking..

Thanks

Ron,

The fact that some of the very rare real McCoy FBI/Police cases can only be identified by one of the makers "Sweatnam" stick on label, only goes to reinforce the notion that there are indeed many repro cases made since the 1960's beacuse it's an easy gig. This is why the current made repro cases by Fox, which are priced at under $600, maybe the best way to go to insure what it is you are paying for.

Arthur - the reason I ask is that I have had several chances to purchase what have been described as "old" cases. I dont have the knowledge to know the difference from a "better" repo, which was made in the last 20 or 30 years. I have purchased better repo cases and have avoided the offers for the high price "old" cases. I wish Richardson would do a book on cases.

I obtained one old case from a PD and knew the history. I sure that I have passed on cases which I should have purchased. Hardware is not always a tip off to a repo case.

Thanks