Moore Bodyguard Arrested On Gun Charge

Moore bodyguard arrested on gun charge

Filmmaker’s guard did not have NY gun license

The Associated Press

Updated: 7:55 p.m. ET Jan. 20, 2005

NEW YORK - A bodyguard who has protected outspoken moviemaker and gun-control advocate Michael Moore was arrested at Kennedy International Airport for allegedly carrying a pistol without a New York license, authorities said Thursday.

Patrick Burk, 34, faced arraignment on a felony charge of criminal possession of a weapon. Prosecutors did not have his attorney’s name.

Burk was questioned by police Wednesday night after he notified a United Airlines ticket agent that he wanted to carry his weapon — unloaded and in a bag — on a flight to Los Angeles, said Port Authority spokesman Tony Ciavolella.

The bodyguard, who works for the California-based security firm Gavin de Becker & Associates, told police he had traveled to New York with Moore earlier this month, Ciavolella said. He produced licenses for his Mauser handgun from California and Florida, but not New York, which prompted his arrest.

Moore spokesman Mark Benoit said the filmmaker “wasn’t there and had nothing do with this.”

Burk has been assigned to protect Moore at times in the past but is not his personal bodyguard, Gavin de Becker said.

De Becker defended Burk, saying he had followed proper procedures at the airport. He called him “a leading professional in his field.”

Moore, the director of “Fahrenheit 9/11,” won the documentary Academy Award for 2002’s “Bowling for Columbine,” a scathing look at the gun culture in America.

In an interview last year with Playboy magazine, Moore called the National Rifle Association a “radical, freaky group.”

“Most Americans are with me on this,” he said about stricter gun controls. “They understand duck hunters don’t need Uzis and cop-killer bullets.”

When asked to comment Thursday on the arrest of Moore’s bodyguard, NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said: “Based on empirical evidence, this is the height of hypocrisy.”

Moore goes to the same school as Rosie O'Donnell it seems. Nobody needs guns .. but my bodyguards.....

If Moore really believed position, he would be willing to trust law enforcement for protection.

Moore bodyguard arrested on gun charge

You'd need a howitzer to guard something that big! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

I really hate Michael Moore. Typical "do as I say, not as I do" attitude. What a true phoney. As Sgt said, why isn't the government taking care of him? Isn't that what he wants?

With his bogus bullshit films and reading statments that his anti-gun stance is "what most Americans want" really pisses me off. I read an interview in Playboy a few months back, and even the interviewer (for a pretty liberal magazine) was giving him a hard time. Next month, people ripped into him (Moore) in the reader response column. Probably one out of 20 supported him. I was pretty surprised that Playboy printed so many bad responses back about him and his lies and drivel.

I will say this - I will NEVER watch, buy or participate in anything that asshole has his tubby fingers around. He is a two-faced bitch... all 900 pounds of him.

Just remember idiots like Howard Stern and Moore, who can access a vast amount of people, don't always report the truth. They propose their opinions as fact and try to influcence middle grounders. I am so happy that the liberal, anti-gun plan blew up in their faces and "what most Americans want" wasn't John Kerry.

Chris.

DC Chris Posted on Jan 30 2005, 09:43 PM
I will say this - I will NEVER watch, buy or participate in anything that asshole has his tubby fingers around. He is a two-faced bitch... all 900 pounds of him.

Just remember idiots like Howard Stern and Moore, who can access a vast amount of people, don't always report the truth. They propose their opinions as fact and try to influcence middle grounders. I am so happy that the liberal, anti-gun plan blew up in their faces and "what most Americans want" wasn't John Kerry.

Chris.

Yeah. What DC Chris said. Yeah. Just like the media.

I agree 100%, If these asshole idiots want to disarm somebody let them go after the terrorists in Iraq. I am sick of the American media referring to them as insurgents, they are only murderers. They are damn well not protected by the Geneva Convention as the media would like us to believe . In my opinion they all need to be killed ASAP.My 2c,Mike