Big Sandy Machinegun Shoot advice

maxfaxdude

I've been to several machinegun shoots including Knob Creek, Big Sandy and Fort Harmar as a spectator except at Fort Harmar, where PJ Heck let me shoot his machineguns (PJ's is really a great guy!). I've decided to take the plunge and registered as shooter on the line at Big Sandy this March.

What advice would you give to someone like myself as a first time shooter on the line? All comments would be appreciated.

If you've been to the Big Sandy you already know the line layout. Pretty much everyone gets there Thursday to set up. Access to the property closes at around 7PM. Plan on camping on-site as the nearest town it too far away to make it work. Friday's shooter's meeting is at 11, so back-time accordingly.

Use a pop-up canopy for shade (line spaces are 10x10) and you'll want to anchor it down very well. Those little 6" 'tent anchors" they sell at Walmart ain't going to cut it. Big Sandy is known for high winds in the Spring, any time day or night.

Bring plenty of ammo and tracers. UN Ammo is a regular vendor and usually offer free delivery to the shoot. Check their website.

And I can't say enough good things about the staff and RSO's. I've been attending for 10+ years and it has always been a safe, courteous and extremely friendly environment.

Watch out for snakes and scorpions. . .