New York Drums?

Sight and condition unseen, what is a fair price range for New York L drums?

And, what about a Bridgeport?

Chris, I second what JimFromFL wrote. Condition makes the difference; If it isn't 95% or better original condition (no parkerizing, paint or pitting), I wouldn't pay over $1,300. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Regards, Walter

Chris, do a little shopping and bartering at the gun shows. That is how I got my Bridgeport and Crosby from a guy. I got both for $1300, but I told him I would take both if he did that. He wanted $800 each. I have fired both and they run perfect. I got them at the gun show in Louisville at the National Gun Day Show. Puts this little piss ant show in Indy (the 1500) to shame. Let me know when you will be around Lexington area next I may have to bust down there to my buddy's farm! Do a little blatin' away at the hill side! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Chris,

I generally agree with the previous posts. The New York drums, depending on which model, usually go for at least $1,000.00 and up.

The WWII production Bridgeport marked drums are in the $700.00 to $1,000.00 range depending on condition.

Do you know what type your looking at, Numbered, No Number or Worcester?

Guys:

Thanks for the thoughts. I haven't seen the drums yet. I hope to this week. If I can click some pics, I'll post them here.

Hey Guys,

I'm confused!

When you talk about "New York" drums, which drums are you refering to.

I had a look at my drums and Doug Richardson's drum book and found the following:

My Colt 1921 drums are marked New York

The Colt 1928 Navy drums were marked New York.

My Colt 1921/28 drum is marked New York.

My 1928 Worcester drum is marked New York

The Savage drums were also marked New York

My Crosby Drum is marked Buffalo New York

The Fisher drums were marked Brooklyn New York

My three West Hurly Drums are marked New York.

Help! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

PS That Drum book of Doug's is really valuable.

Murray! I should have been more explicit (can I say that here?). I was refering to drums with the DEC 7 1920 patent date. So far that is the only identifier I know of on these drums. I should know more today....

Murray,

The New York drums are the pre-WWII drums that were manufactured specifically for the Colt production Thompsons. They have the New York, N.Y., Auto Ordnance address. Whether made by Colt, Worcester Press Co., etc.

Although the Fischer and Crosby drums have New York addresses on them, they are generally regarded as WWII production drums made for the 1928A1 series of guns. The Auto-Ordnance marked WWII contracted drums have the Bridgeport, CT address.

For collecting purposes, the 1920 Patent Date, Auto Ordnance, New York, N.Y. address drums are referred to as New York drums.

The West Hurley, New York drums are the later manufacture, after production of the Thompson ceased.

Thanks Guys,

I thought that was the case.

I only own eight drums, most of which I have purchased from the US.

Drums are hard to get here and collectors hold on to them like magnets.

I have a number of Colt drums and other WW2 drums but I also own 3 West Hurly drums which I purchased from Numrich in 1983 and 1990.

Are they worth anything now. There are all unused.

Regards

Since we are on the topic of drum values does anybody have an idea which is worth more, an unmarked 39 round drum or one that is marked with Auto Ordnance Corporation West Hurley, New York? I may have an oportunity to trade one and would rather trade the least valuable one. The unmarked is new while the marked has been used a few times but in excellant nearly new condition. Any help would be appreciated.

Chuck

I have several of the 39 rd unmarked drums which can be purchased for around $275.00 - 300.00 - I have never been able to find a marked 39 rd drum. I would think they would sell for a little more than the unmarked drums. I have looked for a marked 39 rd drum for several years and have never seen one offered. I am interested in getting a marked 39 rd drum.

Ron,

I purchased my marked drum new in 1978 at the time I bought my 1928 WH. I've seen them for sale recently but they had buy it now prices of $500+ Not sure if that is a good indicator as their actual value. I plan on keeping whichever one I don't trade. I'm sure there are members here that can give you a lead on a marked 39 rd drum. Good luck !!

Chuck

Gunner--

I would think the main attraction is that some people don't want to pay the higher price for the L drums, but still want the look of the drum and not be limited to only 10 rounds.

These were made in Japan for the model guns. When NAC ran out of surplus L drums, they contracted with the maker for the 39 rd drums to fill the void while they set up to produce new L drums.