49 replies to this topic

#41 huggytree

huggytree

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1979 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, Guns, Work

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:52 AM

because its more interesting to talk about a crazy seller than a dream gun no one here can afford...that T2 has been for sale in the past....i didnt bring it up because it was brought up a year ago when it was listed and not sold then....it was not designed by Thompson and to many people not a thompson...i find it interesting

Edited by huggytree, 17 January 2018 - 11:53 AM.

#42 av8tr

av8tr

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

I bought my 1928A1 right here, and it's a nice one.

It really depends on how you go about buying. Most nice guns trade hands without going through commercial channels like Gunbroker or the big dealers. Not all, Ive seen some nice guns in those avenues however I see more nice guns trade hands in other places. 

#43 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 520 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

What makes you think the seller is crazy?  His posts here seem coherent and while I've heard a good story or two about an incident I missed, certainly not crazy.   What makes you think there are not a number of people here that can't afford it?   I know for a fact a good number can swing it and as mentioned by Ron when it does sell it likely will not be a big public ordeal, but a low key private transaction......unless of course you buy it....LOL.

The vast majority of MG owners would be described as discreet, bordering on clandestine......then along came the internet.  Everyone secretly enjoys watching that guy drive around the RR crossing gate, especially if he just passed you as the gates were coming down.   I can't even count the number of guys on  Subguns that got hit by the train over the years?  None of them were ever collectors. 

#44 huggytree

huggytree

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1979 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, Guns, Work

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:44 PM

i was talking about the crazy thompson owner with a m1 for $45k with wild stories or removing paint off the gun and having a brand new finish underneath

not talking about the $35k colt or T2 gun

Edited by huggytree, 17 January 2018 - 09:44 PM.

#45 Haris357

Haris357

• Board Benefactor
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:12 PM

i was talking about the crazy thompson owner with a m1 for $45k with wild stories or removing paint off the gun and having a brand new finish underneath

not talking about the $35k colt or T2 gun

That seller said he had examined 1000s personally and knew this one to be unfired. SOunds too good to be true!!

#46 Paladin601

Paladin601

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1071 posts
  • Interests:Staying above ground

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:20 AM

Witness mark identifies the correct position of the barrel relative to the receiver for the front and rear sights to properly align should the barrel with front sight be removed and the same barrel be reassembled. If a new barrel is assembled, then the sight alignment must be addressed by other means and the old witness mark on the receiver can be used to set the new witness mark on the new barrel.

Most witness marks are made after installation of a part, unless, like a Garand or 03, the barrel has to be clocked for th efront sight to line up with the rear sight. 

In this case if the witness mark is, truly at the 1 o' clock position, the barrel has been removed and possibly another installed, with the Cutts Comp changed in position on the barrel. The Front sight should be 90 degrees from a factory witness mark.

#47 Paladin601

Paladin601

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1071 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:23 AM

why, won't he take a Credit Card? Kind od suspicious to me.

#48 Colt Chopper

Colt Chopper

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 475 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:31 AM

He sent me pictures of the barrel, definatly a military replacement with what appears to be British proof marks. So obviously the original witness mark means nothing now, other than an indicator it's not the original barrel.

#49 Petroleum 1

Petroleum 1

• Board Benefactor
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:55 AM

So its not worth the asking price of $35k??

#50 Paladin601

Paladin601

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1071 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:23 AM

So its not worth the asking price of $35k??

Collector market is strange. How much a person will spend depends, how much they want an item, how long they plan to keep it, how much their time is worth, what is the intended purpose. A low number certainly has its pluses.