Trade Or Purchase 50 Rd. Drum

There is a WH L drum on sturmgewehr for $650.00 as of 1/29/04

Sellers name is Russ at jonesgunshop@enter.net

610-433-7073

I don't know the guy, the company or anything about this drum. Just passing on what I found while browsing.

I had a terrible experience with Russ and "an 80% 21 Thompson" in 1999--it was priced right, except when I got it, it was refinished, mismatched, and put-together. I subsequently wrote about it in TCN, and found on NFA Toys, posts that others had had similar run-ins. Run.

QUOTE I also found out that even the barrel was "manufactured." Harry O’Connell, who made his share of barrels for Roger Cox in the 70’s, could see the non-Colt machining marks.

Bob,

Your dissapointment with your purchase from Russell Jones further proves the maxim that one should always check out a high priced, nuanced gun, like a Colt TSMG, in person before closing the deal. The responsibility is really with the buyer, regardless of the seller's reputation, to trust, but verify. Expecting any dealer, or previous owner, to be as exacting as would be desired, is a sure formula for misunderstanding.

But it seems that Jones's Colt TSMGs' were not previously owned by Cox, and the one that he does not account for as being in his collection is yours. I am wondering about Mr. O'Connell, who made a barrel for your blank firing TSMG, and admitted to making barrels for Cox. Surely Harry did not confine his barrel making to Cox. Did Harry mark his barrels to identify them as his? If not, is he not as guilty of collusion in enabling dealers to pass along remanufactured Colt TSMG's as originals?

It does not seem uncommon for some dealers (such as Earl) to use their collection as a perfect source to exchange wood and parts from one TSMG to outfit another.

Of course, ultimate examples of parts Thompsons' are the NAC guns. So if the JC Devine NAC-15 gun is projected to sell for $20K to $25K, then maybe your parts gun is a real sleeper as far as its potential value?