1928 Info request/looking for 30 round mags

I've purchased my first Thompson (1928 Bridgeport Auto Ordinance) and would appreciate any information that can be gleaned from reviewing the photo. I purchased it from David Spiwak who advertised it as a WWII gun sold to the Mobile City Police Department and then founds its way into the collector market. I really like to contact the previous owner.

I'm also looking to purchase a couple of 30 round mags if anyone has one or two you are willing to let go of please PM me.

Thank you,

post-293-0-47689200-1516051697_thumb.jpg

Did you take delivery on the gun or is it still in atf jail?? That picture you posted is pretty dark i hope you saw some better ones than that. Anyway nice gun you can get 30 round mags from what a country at a reasonable price. There is a thread started here a little further down on this page.

what is that mark above the trigger?

My dealer has had the gun, reports that I paid a decent price. I was disappointedly the mark above the trigger; it appears that some type of rotary tool brushed against the gun. I'm guessing that when the Mobile PD etched (Mobile City Police..) on the gun someone screwed up. Unfortunately, the photographs provided did not properly reflect the blemish.

Did you take delivery on the gun or is it still in atf jail?? That picture you posted is pretty dark i hope you saw some better ones than that. Anyway nice gun you can get 30 round mags from what a country at a reasonable price. There is a thread started here a little further down on this page.

My dealer has the gun now, other than the blemish he reports it looks sound. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Nice gun. I agree with Normal 1959 on gunbroker. You should have no problem finding 30 rounders and drums in various condition and prices. The drums on there are a little high but some of them have been on for a year. You might be able to contact the buyer and make an offer.

My dealer has the gun now, other than the blemish he reports it looks sound. Thanks everyone for the replies.

The blemish may be where the US was removed from the US 1928 A1 roll stamping. Might be a AC overstamp of a AOC Bridgeport 1928A1.

The blemish may be where the US was removed from the US 1928 A1 roll stamping. Might be a AC overstamp of a AOC Bridgeport 1928A1.

I'll get a better picture and post it. If the blemish was caused by removing the "US" whoever did it wasn't particularly artful. It looks like it was gouged out.

I'll get a better picture and post it. If the blemish was caused by removing the "US" whoever did it wasn't particularly artful. It looks like it was gouged out.

post-293-0-57473200-1516066792_thumb.jpg

Yes, U.S. removed and AC overstamped over the A1. Model 1928 AC. Often done to remove the military nomenclature for sale to police. Others with more knowledge of this variant will chime in.

Have no fear, the grinder mark is part of its history. The police markings are nice as well. I like them. Makes the gun unique instead of a run of the mill surplus gun.

Ron

Edited by ron_brock

Your seller is known for his poor pictures and skipping details on condition...the US grinding is correct for the gun....ive seen many that look over done...

the important thing to me is it may be original finish as there is no finish in that grind mark....so theres a plus

more pics

dregnery,

Welcome to the Thompson Forum. Your Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport (AOB) 1928AC was at one time owned by a Board member. I believe his Board moniker is TNKen. If you search the Forum you may find some pictures of your Thompson. I believe the original owner was the Mobile, Alabama Police Department.

May I suggest you purchase American Thunder, Third Edition, by Board Member Frank Iannamico to learn more about this Thompson variation. Actually, you should have had this book, or Tracie Hill's, The Ultimate Thompson Book, in your library before seriously shopping for a Thompson gun. Your Thompson gun is not a military or GI Thompson. It is basically a parts gun sold commercially to law enforcement organizations by Auto-Ordnance Corporation, later to become Maguire Industries, after the production of the Model of 1928 Thompson gun ended. Known years of sales were between 1943 and 1946. The removal of the receiver nomenclature markings are pretty standard for this variation. There are many threads on the Forum about the 1928AC variation. Unfortunately, there is much misinformation on this variation, but Frank's book will get you pointed in the right direction.

May I also suggest you join The American Thompson Association and/or The Thompson Collectors Association and attend one of the yearly Shows and Shoots.

dregnery,

Welcome to the Thompson Forum. Your Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport (AOB) 1928AC was at one time owned by a Board member. I believe his Board moniker is TNKen. If you search the Forum you may find some pictures of your Thompson. I believe the original owner was the Mobile, Alabama Police Department.

May I suggest you purchase American Thunder, Third Edition, by Board Member Frank Iannamico to learn more about this Thompson variation. Actually, you should have had this book, or Tracie Hill's, The Ultimate Thompson Book, in your library before seriously shopping for a Thompson gun. Your Thompson gun is not a military or GI Thompson. It is basically a parts gun sold commercially to law enforcement organizations by Auto-Ordnance Corporation, later to become Maguire Industries, after the production of the Model of 1928 Thompson gun ended. Known years of sales were between 1943 and 1946. The removal of the receiver nomenclature markings are pretty standard for this variation. There are many threads on the Forum about the 1928AC variation. Unfortunately, there is much misinformation on this variation, but Frank's book will get you pointed in the right direction.

May I also suggest you join The American Thompson Association and/or The Thompson Collectors Association and attend one of the yearly Shows and Shoots.

TD, thanks for the information. I will join the Collector's Club and purchase the mentioned books.

Your seller is known for his poor pictures and skipping details on condition...the US grinding is correct for the gun....ive seen many that look over done...

the important thing to me is it may be original finish as there is no finish in that grind mark....so theres a plus

more pics

I bought an Uzi from Spiwak several years ago after a recommendation from Tom Bowers site. I requested better pictures but got an excuse that his camera did not take good pictures. He did tell me that I could return the gun if I wasn’t happy. Obviously, I’m working backwards-acquiring the gun first and researching afterwards.

Unfortunately, his reputation appears to be tarnishing.

Spiwak is known for his terrible pictures. However, that seems to work for his business model. The supply of machine guns registered for civilian ownership is finite so potential buyers with the bug have a limited selection at any one time without a lot of patience. Given today's prices, most informed buyers would go see the product if they see something that is of interest at a reasonable price. All that said, you acquired a known Thompson variation that will make a great shooter Thompson. Shooting your AOB 1928AC should not devalue it in the least. Knowing the police department that purchased your 1928AC is also a plus. When you obtain possession, I would suggest you file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the BATF to learn when your Thompson was originally sold. Frank's book has an unredacted copy of an original IRS Form 5 for a 1928AC on Page 150. BATF will only provide a redacted copy but this is the start of compiling the provenance for your 1928AC. During your wait you can read Frank's book and research the Board about FOIA requests.

Here is the link to join TATA and/or TCA. Both organizations hold shows & shoots in Ohio every year. Usually around the first of August (TATA) and the middle of September (TCA). Both organizations are great and the events are a lot of fun. Tracie Hill's collection is on display at the TATA Show.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showforum=57

why does it have an X after the serial #?

does this mean its post war parts gun?

to the owner--does the barrel line match up?

Huggy,

Yes, it is one of the Post WWII guns sold by Maguire Industries to law enforcement. Many have the X after the serial number on both the receiver and the grip frame. Some of these guns don't have the X stamped on them, but virtually all have the US markings ground off, some have the 1 in A1 ground off with a C stamped in place of the 1. Depending on when they were sold, none of them seem to have consistent markings.

thats what i thought the X meant.....the guns taken off the line during the war for police would still have the US ground off, but NOT the X....the X=Maguire

i almost bought a police AC at one point with a ground off US mark, but it did not have the X on it

this explains why he has newer 1928 sights and the older style barrel.....most of the AC's ive seen have the smooth barrel when they have the simple/newer rear sight...

do mcguire police guns hold the same value as non/mcguire- WW2 era 1928's?