New 9mm conversion parts are available

Indianapolis Ordnance has 9mm conversion parts for grease guns in stock.

Barrels with trunnions, bolts, mag adapters. Also extractors & pins. In the white.

I just got a barrel with trunnion, I've been waiting for this production run.

Have fun

RFA

The bolt in the picture looks like one for the M3 not the M3A1 though it says M3A1 in the text. Which one is it for?

So $250 for barrel

$15 for mag well adapter

and $200 for a bolt.

If I didn't have 10K rnd of Wolf 45ACP stored up I might have jumped on this. As it is I'm not sure.

Edited by Mongo

• 1 month later...

When I talked to him last week he said that there wouldn't be a price break for a whole kit. The barrels and magazine adapters are in stock but it will be a couple 2-3 months until bolts are ready. He said to get on the back order list and he would let the buyers know when the bolts were ready.

I'm on the fence on getting one as I'd like to see some feed back on these units to see how they function out of 3 or 4 different guns.

I've had one for a while. He shipped it all same day. I don't see any reason why he'd offer any discount on a "kit" since the price IMO is reasonable for the amount of work he does, you can't get them anywhere else, and the sales volume will be low. Last original complete kit I saw was $1500 and that was years ago. I have not shot it, that said he has a great reputation for producing quality parts so I assume it will work. I'd suggest ordering everything at once since extractors, extractor pins, recoil plates are very difficult to find now and I ended up placing a second order for some of those.

I, as would others, would like to know how this kits runs in a couple different guns before shelling out the coin for one. Reputation is one thing, but something not working and having to spend months straightening it out to make it run is another. It never hurts to ask about a reduced rate for buying a full kit-some places do offer a price break when ordering more stuff....the old adage-spend more to save money.

I've had one for a while. He shipped it all same day. I don't see any reason why he'd offer any discount on a "kit" since the price IMO is reasonable for the amount of work he does, you can't get them anywhere else, and the sales volume will be low. Last original complete kit I saw was $1500 and that was years ago. I have not shot it, that said he has a great reputation for producing quality parts so I assume it will work. I'd suggest ordering everything at once since extractors, extractor pins, recoil plates are very difficult to find now and I ended up placing a second order for some of those.

Johnson,

When you do get a chance to test, please let us know if it meets US Army requirement as listed I Frank I's book on the M3.

Hopefully the kit will shoot to the same point of impact as the 45 barrel, but you never know untill you try.

If it doesn't shoot to point of impact , it will be of little use to plate shooters.

If they hit on target, I will probably buy a Kit.

Jim C

Hi,

Bought a pair of kits to play with. So far the Extractor/Extractor Pin does not fit in the 9mm bolts. The pin and extractor do fit a .45 bolt. Rework on the bolt will bring no joy as I suspect it is hardened.

For the money you are getting a more than fair share of metal work done. Just my experience so far.

My projects run slowly so someone will likely beat me to the range.

Good Luck,

Grasshopper

Thier bolt ad claims that GI parts ( extractor / extractor pin / guide rods / springs ) will all fit the 9mm bolt. I would ass-u-me that the extractor cut is different so as to allow the .45 extractor to reach deeper in to grab the 9mm case .

Chris

Here is what I found today. Factory parts: extractor hole around .219 factory extractor .217 IO extractor .219 IO bolt extractor hole.218 extractor does not fit, but will fit in factory bolt.

IO extractor pin .2495 Factory bolt pin hole .252 IO bolt pin hole .249 IO pins fit in factory bolts, but not in IO bolts. Factory extractor fit, but so tight I'm not going to jam it in there.

My guess is that he drilled all the holes and did not ream them?

I probably will drill them here. A #2 drill is .221 for the extractor and a letter drill (forgot which one) is .255 for the pin.

Not exactly good news. Hopefully he will address the problem and is aware of it. I have not made contact.

Chris, you are correct in that the cut for the extractor is offset to the edge of the 9mm case edge, since it's a new bolt, therefore that should work assuming you can fit the extractor into it's hole and pin it in.

OK,

I emailed them with my observations and got this response:

Thanks for the email, the bolts were heat treated which caused the holes to tighten up. We will be compensating for this in the future. Thanks again, Jason.

Nothing addressing those who currently purchased them and no offer to take it back and fix it. I hereby retract my previous statement about them having a good reputation, etc. I have not checked the magwell adaptor yet, but that's on my "well why would that work when the rest doesn't?" list. Jim C, unprofessional is not the term I'm thinking of at the moment. Buyer beware!!

Anyone who is working in the metal working industry should know that holes change size when heat treated. To be oblivious to this is sad and sloppy IMHO. That is why you prototype things and not go into production until you make sure you are 100% and can account for variables (I've been there, done that)

Glad I held off on getting on the list for one of these kits now. None too impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Status update. I chucked up a 1/4 carbide end mill into a cordless drill. Starting by hand at first, and cleaned up the extractor pin hole. After it was cleaned out I hogged around with the drill and the pin now fits. Next up the extractor hole. Tried opening it up with a Ti drill bit, but it would not touch it. The extractor (GI, not IO) fits with no clearance. It would probably fit if hammered, but it might never come out? So I ended up essentially chucking that in a drill (actually a lathe) and hit it with a file 2/3 at a time. The extractor pinned end does not seem very hard so rather than ordering a custom carbide reamer I decided to mess with the small cheap part. It did not take long to shave off .001 with a file, then it fits snugly, but will push in (hung up near the pin hole.....chamfer that edge some). Of course the magwell adaptor did not fit at all. I ended up taking at least a 1/16 off the corner by the mag catch, then fully an 1/8" off both of the front edges in order to set behind where the magwell indents on both sides toward the front. I did learn the adaptor actually friction fits the magazine and slides in and out with the mag. Never knew that? In the end I spent probably an hour and a half fitting and messing with it. Put everything together, put a round in and it worked flawlessly. Put some more in and it ran without a hiccup. I now have some refinishing to do on the adaptor and that's about it.

Things learned. set it up for one sten mag and probably stick with it as it was intended in kit form.

Sten mags vary a fair bit and I don't know that moving that adaptor around is very practical, but I suppose if you find other mags that fit it it's fine.

There is a spot on the bolt where the cocking handle linkage drags a bit, but only when cocking the gun? Not enough to bother with on my gun.

Obviously GG have some variances as well, however for the record this one is/was new and has less than 40 rounds through it total at this time so I'd assume the magwell and other parts are about as tight they get from guide lamp.

At this point I'm relatively happy and feel the thing was a value in the end for my situation, but it's nowhere near "drop in" in my case. I'll stick with a "buyer beware" rating on IO. HTH

JLMG,

Thanks for your report.

Obviously you are a person of mechanical skill and some necessary tools.

A person lacking these qualities should probably not consider buying the kit.

The idea that the mag well adapter stays with one mag indicates more needs to be done. The OSS certainly wouldn't have wanted a One mag subgun.

I believe Chris has the real McCoy, hopefully he will comment soon.

It would appear that IO got ahold of some blueprints to make the parts, but lack a gun to test what they make.

Its also a sad situation that IO didn't offer to take the parts back and make the corrections that you were forced to make.

This is how reputations are made and lost.

Jim C

As excited as I was to purchase one of these kits I now have reservations about the idea. I have the tools and the skill to make it work but that is not the point, drop in is drop in, not spend 1 1/2 hrs fixing things that anyone with half a brain in machining or metallurgy would tell you off the bat.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

FWIW, I've some friends that have managed to get the 9mm parts running. They did have the above mentioned fitting issues. A mag dump worth or shooting anyway so far. Just curious if it counts if the parts were not used in a GG :) They ran the parts in the Spitfire.

Sincerely,

Grasshopper

• 3 months later...

Is there any more news or updates on these 9mm conversion kits from Indianapolis Ord? I would have thought that by now they would have corrected the issues with the parts. Anyone else purchase a kit recently?

Mike Hammer

I've been wondering the same thing, if anyone has gotten one to successfully run in their gun. I keep flirting with the idea of buying a kit, but I don't have my gun transferred to me yet so there's really no point in getting in too much of a hurry for one.