Newly Discovered Colt Thompson Serial Numbers - Gordon's Quest

Alan,

There are a total of 13 serial numbers listed in the Swedish book. Five of them were not listed in Gordon's book, and eight of them were. I have updated the master list in the first post in this thread with the information. We now have 14 Colts added to Gordon's Quest...Thank you Alan, for your inquiry, and my apologies for the delayed response.

Here they are: (not listed in Gordon's book)

Listed in Gordon's book:

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 2 weeks later...

Morning David,
I noticed RChapmans post concerning the discovery of part of sn 9283, so I checked Gordons books and they have nothing listed against that serial number, so another bit of history to add to newly discovered Colt Thompsons.

http://www.machinegu...showtopic=21695

# 9283 Trigger assembly with 1921 buttstock and pistol grip, fitted to a late model 1928A1 with smooth barrel and battle sights, found in the Netherlands

and another, what appears to be a French contract 1921 posted by member Paulsavoy, # 11848, which has not details listed in Gordon's book:

www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21716

Deactivated to new EU specifications in France.

Best regards

Richard

Edited by rpbcps

• 1 year later...

I don't have Gordon's book so this may or may not be new info.

Colt '21A #232 is on display in Kilmainham Gaol, Dublin Ireland. No finish, but lots of rust as one might expect from an Irish Sword hidden beneath someone's floorboards for half a century. It's displayed wearing a C drum. No number visible on the drum in the display.

Colt '21AC #9962 was recently surrendered to the Virginia War memorial Foundation's museum and is currently kept from the torch by a Form 10. It's engraved at the cocking slot: "E.E. RICHARDSON/MAUMEE, O" It's sitting in an FBI case with a cleaning rod, no spare parts box, two XX magazines and one shotshell magazine, plus an L drum.

That's the gun. I also have a couple photos of the gun in its case as well as one with the museum curator holding it (and a video of him firing it.) I'll see if I can';t get the pictures up[loaded. Not sure about how comfortable he is with showing his face, but if he's OK with it I'll at least blur out his face.

I also have a couple not-so-great photos of #232

Edited by Bill in VA

• 2 weeks later...

Noteworthy!! There's history there that hopefully will be on the placard with that Thompson!! Never been to that museum, so now have to get out there and see it! Thanks for the update Bill!

Cheers,

Steve

• 1 month later...

I ran across a Colt 21A yesterday at the Smithsonians Museum of American History in the Mars Inc. American Enterprise exhibition. The display cases are dimmly lit making it difficult to see or photograph anything. Whats interesting about this one is the serial number has been removed. No idea what number this gun is/was. Heres a link to the guns official photo on the Smithsonians web site: http://ids.si.edu/ids/deliveryService?id=NMAH-JN2014-3490

And a couple of bad cell phone photos I snapped yesterday.post-39-0-26969700-1556364250_thumb.jpegpost-39-0-00598800-1556364265_thumb.jpegpost-39-0-85544800-1556364280_thumb.jpeg

Maybe somebody knows a little more about this one. Theres information in the display except a card that says Thompson submachine gun.

Ok, fast follow-up... Here’s the museum’s record: https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_416040

Maybe the gun is #7098 according to their accession record.

I have been looking through their website it looks like they also have Colt Thompson #583

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_416010

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Greetings,

I'm working with the Vancouver, Washington, Police Department on a history project. I need this forum's help. I was wondering if a forum member that owns Gordon Herigstad's two volume work, Colt Thompson Submachine Gun Serial Numbers & Histories would be willing to look up a serial number and send the department a photo or copy of the entry. This would be helpful since we are not sure it will be in these books and the history project's budget can't afford their $269.96 price tag, especially for a single entry.

Thank you for the help, and for all the information this forum already shares!

Benjamin Melgard

History Project Coordinator

Vancouver Police Department

benjamin.melgard@cityofvancouver.us

Greetings,

I'm working with the Vancouver, Washington, Police Department on a history project. I need this forum's help. I was wondering if a forum member that owns Gordon Herigstad's two volume work, Colt Thompson Submachine Gun Serial Numbers & Histories would be willing to look up a serial number and send the department a photo or copy of the entry. This would be helpful since we are not sure it will be in these books and the history project's budget can't afford their $269.96 price tag, especially for a single entry.

Thank you for the help, and for all the information this forum already shares!

Benjamin Melgard

History Project Coordinator

Vancouver Police Department

benjamin.melgard@cityofvancouver.us

Benjamin,

Email sent.

Thanks,

Ron

• 8 months later...

Hi do anybody have any info on #3022 and 3270?

Hi,

Neither number is listed in Gordon Herigstad's two-volume reference. This was the last version he published before his death. If you know where they are, it would be make for an interesting thread.