Fbi Case Question

I have a question for the board. When were the FBI cases first made? I see them in Tracie Hill's book but don't see if they first came out with the early weapons or not.

Were they made only for the 1921 AC guns or for the 1921 A weapons too?

Thanks

Sniper

Sniper:

The first known mention of the FBI case is 1935 when the FBI ordered 135 Colt Thompson model 1928 overstamps with the hardcase, L drum, four type XX magazines spare parts tin and long model cleaning rod. Additional cases were ordered by the FBI and police agencies well into the 1950s.

Greg Fox

Low numbers don't appear to have anything to do with when the gun was sold. I owned #398 which came in a "Brooks Trunk" case - it was not purchased by the Anaconda mining company until well after 1921. It came with a C and L numbered drums. Also had unmarked xx mags.

I would think some of the early #s were sold early, it appears at some point orders were filled without regard to serial number.

The FBI/PD cases were not even advertised by Auto-Ord and there isn't a record of Colt TSMG's leaving Auto-Ord as a complete set with case and all the accessories that go inside them. Auto-Ord may not have shipped out guns in any sequential order, (except for the first 1000 or so), but as shown by the TSMG serial numbers bought by the FBI initially in 1934 until, say 1938, they went from 4471 up to 14427. Numbers above 9000(?) were probably sold in the 1930's.

Ron,

It seems #398 was shipped out on 5/21. )

Ron,

Interestingly I own Colt gun 389 http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif which is the Irish sword I am selling/sold.

Regards

Murray

So a weapon around 1500 or so that is a 1921A might not have been sold that early (1921-1925 or so), and if it is in an FBI type case, they could, or could not have been married up at the time of original sale?

Sniper