California Modification for Thompsons

So, here is what I have worked out for the Thompson market in California. This modification only works with the 1927 and 10 round drum to be California compliant. The new California law allows the magazine to be switched if the gun is disassembled (as in upper and lower on a Thompson moving apart). Foiling California Legislators like the new AR15 bullet button device people did just feels good.

The way a thompson works is that the drum is held in place by the upper, but the lower mag catch keeps it from sliding side to side. With the magazine catch welded in place, the drum won't be able to slide. To allow it to slide, the lower must be able to move backwards since the magazine catch won't move.

A bolt hold open device must also be used or the magazine won't slide either unless the bolt is locked back. The traditional bolt hold open devices that have been built and work with the lower and a full auto selector won't work as it would keep the gun from sliding apart. Thus a new top piece device was required. EZpull springs help out here too...

To allow the upper and lower to slide apart quick and easy, I have also devised a frame latch button lever (saw this idea at a TATA show).

With all these things working together, it works slick and easy. Drum reloads are very user friendly.

The other side is that if a guy moves out of CA the mag catch weld can be easily cut away with a dremil tool. Maybe without even seriously damaging the magazine catch if you are good. Worst case is you have to replace the magazine catch.

Unfortunately, this won't work with stick magazines as the magazine sticks up into the mag well, but is held by the lower (no sliding possible). That's a topic for another post as I'm working out a design idea for M1 type guns.

Offering this modification complete with EZpull springs for $250. I can do this on a new ordered gun (I can order you a gun at a discount) and ship to California dealers, or California guns can be shipped to me if you already have a version of bullet button gun but don't want to go down the road of registering as an assault rifle.

cagun2.jpg

cagun1.jpg

cagun3.jpg

cagun4.jpg

That's pretty slick Dan. I am always impressed with the ingenuity of some of the group here.

It's amazing to me how legislators try and try to foil law abiding citizens with law after law.... only to have someone figure a way to circumvent it legally. The State has far ranging issues but what the law makers have time for is this and regulating cow methane. I got out in '93 and got to Texas as fast as I could.

And here we have the stick mag modification. I used a junky xxx mag to prove my idea. California mag will be a 10 round one of course. Mag is held in place by gripmount screw and bar on back that sits in front of the trigger. Loading is through the ejection port. Clumsy but doable. Magazine is of course not removable except by disassembling the gun. But the gun is not disfigured or modified beyond a few minutes of the work and possibly replacing the magazine catch should the owner decide to leave California.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by deerslayer

A new front grip will be made. And the mag catch should be welded with a washer like above so the gun won't accept a stock magazine. Internally the trip has to be replaced and a bolt hold open tool is also needed to facilitate loading through the ejection port.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The law has been passed, but CRPA and the NRA are planing to sue to block it. Also the CA DOJ has not set up a system to register the guns, so it seems on holed right now

Hallelujah - what a case this is shaping up to be!

I'm excited to see that the NRA has entered the fray here in a big way by teaming up with CRPA on this landmark lawsuit - if successful it will repeal all the gun laws enacted here in California since 1989!

With Trump threatening to split up the 9th Circuit Court and banking on upcoming Trump supreme court nominees as well as other changes at the federal level, evidently the NRA soothsayers decided it was time to go all in here in Cali.

I am cautiously optimistic and am waiting to see how this rinses out before I pull the trigger on this mod.

If anyone is interested in learning more about the lawsuit, there is an excellent discussion going on over on CalGuns 2A forum.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1327871

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

it would seem to me that going the "featureless" way would be much easier. The AR 15 crowd are doing away with the pistol grip. or putting what they call a sail on the pistol grip that prevents wrapping your thumb around the grip. With this you could still use a detachable 10 rd mag. seems like a much easier way

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

1. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
    1. A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.

With the below style grip, the manufactures attorneys are saying it is no longer a "Pistol grip". Many Ar-15 are showing up at the gun stores with just these types of grips, apparently with the blessing of the DOJ, as long as you KEEP the bullet button.
    2. A thumbhole stock.
    3. A folding or telescoping stock.
    4. A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    5. A flash suppressor.
      The M1 has no muzzle device and the 27 a1 is a COMPENSATOR, not a flash suppresor.

6. A forward pistol grip.
      you would have to change to a verticle fore arm grip.

p.jpg
But then again, a variation of something such as this might also work. Where the stock goes straight up to the trigger guard and a thumb rest is put on the right side to effect a better hold.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/tsmgstock.jpg

Edited by Paladin601

I went featureless for awhile and hated it - hence why I'm having Dan do this modification on my Tommy.

Personally I think the Thompson platform is too heavy to run featureless - it is awkward and cumberson to shoot off-hand without the having the stabilizing effect of your thumb wrapped around the pistol grip.

Bench rest shooting in featureless configuration is not as bad, but shooting form the bench gets old for me quickly...

Like the FAL rifle platform, the Thompson is too heavy for that featureless mess!

- JM2C, YMMV.

it would seem to me that going the "featureless" way would be much easier. The AR 15 crowd are doing away with the pistol grip. or putting what they call a sail on the pistol grip that prevents wrapping your thumb around the grip. With this you could still use a detachable 10 rd mag. seems like a much easier way

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

1. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

With the below style grip, the manufactures attorneys are saying it is no longer a "Pistol grip". Many Ar-15 are showing up at the gun stores with just these types of grips, apparently with the blessing of the DOJ, as long as you KEEP the bullet button.
    2. A thumbhole stock.
    5. A flash suppressor.
      The M1 has no muzzle device and the 27 a1 is a COMPENSATOR, not a flash suppresor.

p.jpg
But then again, a variation of something such as this might also work. Where the stock goes straight up to the trigger guard and a thumb rest is put on the right side to effect a better hold.

I went featureless for awhile and hated it - hence why I'm having Dan do this modification on my Tommy.

Personally I think the Thompson platform is too heavy to run featureless - it is awkward and cumberson to shoot off-hand without the having the stabilizing effect of your thumb wrapped around the pistol grip.

Bench rest shooting in featureless configuration is not as bad, but shooting form the bench gets old for me quickly...

Like the FAL rifle platform, the Thompson is too heavy for that featureless mess!

- JM2C, YMMV.

2. A thumbhole stock.
    5. A flash suppressor.

p.jpg

why not just register it? what it is $15.00

Registering is the first stage of surrender. With many states circumventing the 2A with all of these temp gun confiscation restraining orders it is best for the government not to know what you have. It is none of their businesses to begin with. Most of these new laws are written so poorly that a disgruntled girl/boy friend from 15 years ago can get your guns taken from you on just a say so w/o due process. The left has now been openly calling for confiscation of civilian guns for over a year now. The 1986 Firearm Owner Protection Act actually makes gun registrations illegal on their face. Don't do it...

Edited by 06AngusSG

First off Dan, congrats and very well done Sir for such an innovative solution!

Second, best wishes to all of our friends in CA who are trapped in such an onerous State {and I thought living in Illinois is rotten}.

Registering is the first stage of surrender. With many states circumventing the 2A with all of these temp gun confiscation restraining orders it is best for the government not to know what you have. It is none of their businesses to begin with. Most of these new laws are written so poorly that a disgruntled girl/boy friend from 15 years ago can get your guns taken from you on just a say so w/o due process. The left has now been openly calling for confiscation of civilian guns for over a year now. The 1986 Firearm Owner Protection Act actually makes gun registrations illegal on their face. Don't do it...

Where would Machinegun collectors be today if no one registered any machineguns in 1934, 1968 or prior to the 1986 new registration prohibition?

What confuses me is Bridgeport21 says, and he is correct. No hesitation registering your legal machine, send in the $200 dollars and get your tax stamp. If California said $15 to the state and $200 to the IRS for a tax stamp and you can have a short barrel Thompson, people would be lining up to do it.

What I am wondering is once the rifle has been registered as a aw, can you take the bullet buttons off?

>>Where would Machinegun collectors be today if no one registered any machineguns in 1934, 1968 or prior to the 1986 new registration prohibition?

What confuses me is Bridgeport21 says, and he is correct. No hesitation registering your legal machine, send in the $200 dollars and get your tax stamp. If California said $15 to the state and $200 to the IRS for a tax stamp and you can have a short barrel Thompson, people would be lining up to do it.

What I am wondering is once the rifle has been registered as a aw, can you take the bullet buttons off?

Register it = have to keep the crappy bullet button on it and earns the shameful designation 'Bullet Buttoned Assault Weapon'. I think there really is no better solution than what Dan is offering for those here in Cali who are not strictly bench rest shooters!

Edited by Macho Hambre

rzew0pare3401.jpg

....and we were just considering the reasons not to register... Gavin's not even trying to hide what he has in mind for Califo er I mean America.

Face it there is a storm a brewing and "Why don't you just leave California" is no longer even a viable option.... California is coming for America!

'why not just register it?' Lol...