I think the whole SBR issue needs to be reevaluated by the ATF, to take into consideration the overall length of the weapon in Question.

Let use the Semi-Auto M1 version with the non removable Stock.

Even with a 10.5 Barrel this Weapons is not easy to Conceal, it's still long.

Where if someone has a Short Barrel Shotgun

(sawed off) with a Pistol Grip is easy to Conceal, and would qualify for SBR NFA Tax Stamp.

I like the look of the AR-15 with 10.5 Barrel, but put the A2 Stock, not the collapsible stock.

The Short Barrel Rifle needs to be reevaluated for Overall Lengths of the Weapon.

Edited by jojeep

As long as the Gov't can collect $200 for SBR's or silencers, they will not get rid of the SBR thing, as ridiculous it may be. I agree that a AR15 pistol with a 7 inch barrel is more concealable and deadlier than a subgun with a stock. I can place just as well aimed shots holding my AR pistol with both hands as my Thompson with a stock. That being said, I don't mind the Tax stamp but the wait times are annoying and absurd. The crazy thing is that I run across people all the time (including LEOs) that put a short barrel on a lower with a stock being oblivious to the law. I gave up on trying to explain it to people because the typical response I get is "well that's just stupid and makes no sense". At the same time, I have never been challenged by anyone (including LEOs) about my SBRs.

I would not mind paying $200 for the SBR, but unfortunately NJ has $%^^ that override the Federal Laws and do not allow SBR.
I made my own with a Green Mountain 14 inch Thompson barrel with welded Cutts I did this about 10 years ago. Now Auto Ordnance offers this same setup.
We are forced to do these stupid cosmetics then just buy the 10.5 Barrel.
My goal is to move to Pa, a free state is just 18 miles away

Edited by RoscoeTurner

Maybe in this day of the computer age, They could change the fee for SBRs and SBS s to 5.00 and have some type of E file where you get an answer back in 48 hours. This won't help people in neo nazi states like NJ or CA but it would streamline the process for the rest of Us and JoJeep I hope you get to experience the pleasures of residing in a free state soon.

I think the whole SBR issue needs to be reevaluated by the ATF

If they reevaluate anything, it should be to do away with the SBR (and SBS) classification entirely. It's an outdated law used to prevent people from hiding shotguns and rifles under the trench coats worn in the '20's and '30's. When AR pistols came about, the ATF should have have either considered them SBR's or gotten rid of such a classification...stocked (or braced) or not, they are concealable, high-powered firearms, which is what the law was supposed to restrict...

The case that springs to mind is the one involving MKS, where demilled M14 receivers were welded up under a prior ATF approval granted to Hahn Machine Tool.

...Relying on some other persons approval from ATF and assuming that it covers you is a very bad idea. Letters actually are individual specific applying only to the individual who requests a determination for their design and gets an approval. I understand that a lot of people assume that an approval for one individuals design includes anyone elses interpretation of the approved design, so they can go ahead and do what they want without a nod from ATF. Be careful.