M1 Oiler

I bought a oiler from SARCO and tried to put it in my stock and it didnt fit. Were all oilers designed to fit into the stock opening? There was a black felt doughnut in it, I guess it was the original. I understand that the doughnut was used to keep the oiler from rattling but no matter how hard I pushed there was still about 3/4" protruding out of the stock. Do I have the wrong oiler for the M-1. Thanks for any info on this. The oiler and washer look just the ones in Franks book

Hi,

If you have the cylindrical oiler (not the one with the thin spout) it is the right oiler for M1 and M1A1 Thompsons. Usually, there are three felt washers in the original buttstocks that had the first type oil bottle.

M1 Thompsons were probably issued the original type oiler and your butt stock may have three felt washers in it. Remove one or two of the washers and the round type oiler should fit.

Hi,

I checked Page 250 of Frank's book and that is an M1/M1A1 type oiler. Usually, one felt washer is used with that type oiler because it is longer than the original type.

Use a cut piece of wire coat hanger and bend a small hook on the end and use it to fish out the three original felt washers in your butt stock. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe your butt stock is not an original WWII GI issue? Is it a Numrich or Kahr current model?

I bought a oiler (cylinder type) from Doug Richardson for my WH M1 Thompson & 1 pad. I put the pad in & the oiler popped in with no problem & doesn't rattle around. Have a groovie day! Guess I just gave away my age.